What should i replace my iMac with?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crazycat, Dec 13, 2009.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I have the latest 24" iMac that came out before latest change (27" model and the 21.5"), It is just over 4 months old. The screen started to get dirty in the middle, just below the iSight camera. I removed the glass and tired to clean it without luck. I would likw to replace it, here are my options.

My setup is like this. I have the Mac on the lest side of the table with an external hard drive and external burner to its left. I have a 24" screen to its right which is connected to my gaming PC, it stands right side of the table. So it is MAC Monitor PC. To the left of the Mac is my TV which is around 2-3 meters away.

My first option was a MacPro but i am limited with space. I would have to go with either another iMac and hope i dont get the same problem or a fully loaded Macmini.

What i do on my Mac is a lot of video viewing, torreting, iTunes, some video converting and a lot of CD/DVD burning. Basically everything except gaming. I would really like to get an iMac but the chance of it having screen problems is high (my friend has an iMac with the same problem).

I am really lost here, any ideas?

Thanks in advanced.

2. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

How about, just.. you know.. buying a new piece of glass?

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...what happened to the glass from your iMac and why couldn't you clean it?

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Watching videos, torrents, iTunes, disc burning..... Hmmm lets see. I think this should do the trick. Seriously though, if thats about all you do with it, don't waste your money on a Mac Pro. Just get your current system fixed or buy a base model iMac or a Mini.

5. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

basically nothing but entertainment. do you really believe that list + gaming is the pinnacle of what people can achieve with computers?

6. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

I got some tools from the Apple reseller that allowed me to remove the glass Abd clean it. The problem is not with the glass itself, I could still see the black smudges after removing it.

What kind of speed decress will I get with the mini over the iMac when using handbrake to reincode 300mb movies?

Pixelated, I am sure I could do more but that's is how I use my computers, it is an entertainment device.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I have the latest 24" iMac that came out before latest change (27" model and the 21.5"), It is just over 4 months old. The screen started to get dirty in the middle, just below the iSight camera. I removed the glass and tired to clean it without luck. I would likw to replace it, here are my options."

Only four months old?

Did it ever occur to you to take it and get it fixed under Apple's warranty?

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

This post smells of "I bought XXXX machine just before the upgrade and now I have improved-machine envy so I need to justify dropping coin on a new machine."

1) You are/were still undewr warranty
    2) Fixing something costs WAY less than replacement (darn that depreciation)

If you insist on it, go ahead and buy the Mac Pro, but in 1-2 months they wil be upgraded and you will be in the same pickle.

Some people seem to have more money than sense.

9. iFirmware macrumors newbie

i say get another imac... the problem wont happen again

10. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

i have removed the glass on my 2 year old 24" AL iMac a couple of times, and its never gotten "dust" below it... and I hardly used a "clean room"...

the new quad i5/i7 rip faster than ever...

you should get yourself a nice firewire external CD/DVD burner if you are really doing that much burning

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

seriously, first thing to do is get in touch with apple and get this fixed under the warranty

12. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

I wish i had enough money for a mac mini. :(

13. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

Thank you very much for that link, I am leaning towards another iMac, I hope I don't get the same problems again.

This is not a case of me wanting the latest model, or envy. I bought my mac from an Apple reseller, I don't really trust them with my sensitive data, and I am sure not allowing them to gut my iMac.

14. jiE macrumors regular

why are you acting so idiotic??????????????
    ITS UNDER WARRANTY. GET APPLE TO FIX IT. SENSITIVE DATA:.. DO A BACKUP.

15. alfmil, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

A fool and his money are soon parted...with every upgrade cycle. :rolleyes: