What should I say to the Genius? Problems after repair.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macfrik, Nov 23, 2009.

1. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Hello guys,
    I have the early '09 MBP 2.93GHZ 15". I got my MBP repaired with the local Apple Store because of the LCD Flickering issue. They said that they replaced both LCD panel and the logic board.

Then, everytime I pull my MBP out of my backpack or my incase sleeve, it always do that 3 loud tone (the tone that usually came out when there is a RAM problem). I do a hard reset and start it up again, then it boots just fine. It was really annoying because this happened like 70% or 80% from everyday use.

I'm planning to go to the Apple Store this Friday and do you guys have any idea on what I should say to the Genius regarding this matter? The problem on my MBP is not always there, it might not be happening when I talk to the Genius. What do you think the Genius will do to my MBP?

It's the 3rd time I went to the Genius with my MBP.

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Just say that *describe what happens* happens about 70 or 80 percent of the time I start up my MacBook Pro. Then try it, and if it starts up fine with the genius just describe what happens and ask what he/she thinks it is...

Good Luck!

3. macfrik thread starter macrumors 6502

macfrik

Will try that. Thank you. What do you think is the problem? Did they put a bad logic board again? I never have this problem before the logic board replacement.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'd say its either the logic board or the hard drive, has the hard drive been replaced, ever?

5. fluffyx macrumors 6502

As odd as it may seem, I've seen re-seating (removing and firmly reinstalling) the RAM fix that exact problem.

If you're comfortable handling the RAM, do it yourself. If you've been to the Genius Bar for this issue, I would hope sincerely that they already tried reseating the RAM!

If the Genius seems hesitant to check the computer in for the symptoms, I'd:
    • emphasize that this is the 2nd? 3rd? 4th? time you'll be visiting them for that same symptom
    • emphasize that the symptoms aren't subjective (like overheating, running slow), but they're very concrete (the computer intermittently makes a distinctive three-beep sound). There's no reason they should be doubting you.
    • tell them that you're frustrated and disappointed—you never had this trouble before the first repair!

At this point, ANY good Genius will check the computer in for repair at this point, writing notes to the other technicians that there is definitely something wrong with the computer! I'd suspect the RAM or main logic board.

If (s)he needs more prodding, just state that you want the computer checked in for repair, and you want the defective component replaced. "Repeat repairs" are a priority for them, so yours will be bumped near the top of the repair queue.

In the unlikely event that, after this point, you still have the same trouble, call the store and request to speak with a manager. I don't think you'll get to this point, though. Apple Stores usually provide better customer service than that!