Price Advice What should I sell my MBA for ???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by intz2nu, Oct 30, 2012.

  1. intz2nu macrumors 6502

    intz2nu

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2012
    #1
    Like to get some opinions as for good sale price for my 2012 Full-spec 13" MBA. I know they saying goes it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it but I need some opinions on a decent price that I would think is something I could live with without feeling a complete total loss. I just purchased it in late September so it came pre-installed with Mountain Lion on it. I purchased it over the RMBP due to thinking or being miss-informed that I couldn't run Windows through Bootcamp on the newer RMBP's. So am kind of debating selling this off before the value goes down a whole lot.
     
  2. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

    jmgregory1

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    Location:
    Chicago and a few other places around the world
    #2
    Are you talking the i7, 8gb ram, 512gb ssd model that sells new for $2199? I'm not sure you're going to lose much in selling it, although given it's the most expensive model, you're already looking at a much smaller audience for potential purchasers. You might be able to sell it for $2000, maybe a little more given you also took the hit on sales tax (if you're in a state that charges sales tax) - but again, given it's the most expensive version, you're dealing with a smaller pool of buyers.
     
  3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #3
    As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.
     
  4. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

    intz2nu

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2012
    #4
    yeah because of it being the full-spec version I am having a bit of trouble finding some eBay listings for a full-spec version sale to compare to. I'm thinking if I should set a reserve at $1950.00 to $2000.00. I also purchased somewhat high-end case for it that set me back little over a $100.00. I can't decide if I should sell it with the MBA or without given the fact that if I went the route of a RMBP I could look to getting the 13" model. Though I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why Apple used a Dual Core Processor over the Quad Core. I mean am I missing something with the 13" RMBP not having enough room for Quad Core? Do any of you here think a mid 2013 release would have a better processor in it? should I wait for that to come out?

    I'm always on my old 2012 27" iMac and don't really need a new Notebook right this second, though I prefer to have most all my important files and documents on a Notebook and my iMac mainly for media content (large media files, movies, music, etc etc). I also like to look at having more than one computer as well in case one was to ever go out on me. I don't own or use a smartphone or tablet of any kind being I'm always using my main home computer so at this momment I'm at a standpoint on what I should do but I don't wanna sit too long and debate on things with the selling of this MBA being I could lose some value with the selling of it.
     
  5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    #5
    Heat. The dual cores give off less heat and when you have a smaller computer like the 13" MBP, you don't have as much room to dissipate the heat properly of a quad core.
     
  6. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

    phoenixsan

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2012
    #6
    After the very informed people of everymac.com....

    Core i5 1.7 Ghz, 11 inch screen : $999.00 (64 gb flash), $1099.00 with 128 gb flash

    Core i5 2.0 Ghz, 11 inch screen: $1249.0

    Core i7 1.8 Ghz, 13 inch screen: $1199.00 (128 gb flash) and $1499.00 (256 gb flash)

    Core i7 2.0 Ghz, 13 inch screen: $1599.00

    Apply a 0.25 anual depreciation rate if mild/low use and 0.33 if heavy (common bussines practice) and you will get an estimate.:):apple:
     
  7. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    #7
    Apple refurb is going for $1869. Good starting point.
     
  8. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

    intz2nu

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2012
    #8
    Thanks folks for all the info. I'm thinking I may just keep it as of now being I visited some threads in the Macbook Pro area with folks mentioning having some problems with their screens. I was most likely probably gonna just push for a full-spec 13" RMBP any how so I guess being they both have dual cores and same ram I will probably just stick with this, though the Retina display would nice. I just wish it was available on the air.

    Infact given the release of Windows 8 I probably won't touch another version of Windows again aside of Win7 to WinXP so I guess this thing will be with me for a while or have a life sentence being that it's highly likely Apple will end up doing a Bootcamp that will support Win8 and Win8 only as it seems the newer editions of Bootcamp now no longer supports earlier versions of Windows before Win7. So I think I'm just gonna make this my life sentence notebook and not really look to upgrading.

    I guess when you have the best of both worlds with Win and Mac OS you can always try to make yourself get a lot more used to the Mac OS. I find it quite easy to use. Don't need to worry about virus's and also think back of the times in my early days at school and I always wanted to use the computer but never really had a chance being we had only 2 in our classroom that now actually having a couple Macs of my own I should find the time to use the Mac OS more, cause in the end I think it's pretty much safe to say that with the release of Win8 that Windows has now officially lost all appeal to me. And with Windows machines always being of a cheaper quality I think I'll be an Apple for life person.
     
  9. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2009
    #9
    You can check prices on apple's site, though they are much more for "recycling" prices and very low. I would google, or ebay your model and see what the base price they are going for used, and work below, or above that.
     
  10. pedromartins Suspended

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2012
    Location:
    Porto, Portugal
    #10
    I find windows to be really bad with high PPI displays. Please inform yourself first about how windows handles a machine like the rMBP 15".

    Personal opinion:

    I find it blasphemous that someone would buy a mac (especially "the" mac of 2012) just to run Windows on it (like you stated in other thread). not only that, you loose a lot of usability by running windows on a mac (compared to OSX.) like battery, trackpad, etc. Really, it's depreciative. If you are willing to pay, you can find good (not that good, but good) windows laptop.
     
  11. darcyjames macrumors member

    darcyjames

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2012
    #11
    Yeah, and you'll have to price below that as refurbs usually ship like brand new and have one full year warranty.

    My advice would be to keep it & be happy and not worry about retina (for now) you would love the screen on the 15" (with retina non-scaled at 1440x900) but you might miss the real-estate on the 13" retina non-scaled at 1280x800 compared with your MBA at 1440x900.
     
  12. Otz Chieem, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2012

    Otz Chieem macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2012
    #12
    Do not I repeat DO NOT buy the 13inch rMBP [...]!!
    Sell your fully speced MPA for 1800-2000 should be an easy sale at 1800, buy the 15" rMBP the price difference between the 13 and the 15 is very very small when you think of the fact that you are 1) getting a bigger monitor, 2) twice the hard drive space, 3)
     
  13. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

    intz2nu

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2012
    #13
    Well Damnit I dun spent too much time in the Macbook Pro section on this forum and I made the move to selling off my Air. Interestingly enough I put it on eBay early this morning my time and within a few hours it sold for the Buy it Now price I had it listed for at $1850.00. Now I know the eBay and PayPal fees did cost me $124.80 but so far I still feel that I got quite nice sale price in the end. I will probably wait to turn what I made off of the sale of my Air into an even $2000.00 and then go for the 15" RMBP. Most likely the Full-spec model of that as well. Though before that I think I need to wait a small bit to hear more about peoples display problems. So a little more time to spend reading things in the Macbook Pro area. I know after I build my funds back up to an even $2000.00 since the sale of my MBA that I'll have to wait a little to add another $1600.00 to that to be able to get the Full-spec 15" RMBP which in the end will hopefully me a bit more happier. But then theres also the soon to be released iMacs which I know I'll want as well. Damn too bad I couldn't have it all and right this minute. :p
     

Share This Page