What should I Upgrade too?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thechidz, Nov 5, 2007.

1. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

First, you should know that I use an HDTV to run my laptop through at home, which works great as an external monitor with HDMI.

I have a white macbook, older core duo version, and an older G4 tower. There is no point to have both of these computers and now that the new macbooks have been updated I feel like its time to change.

So my options are (price is an issue)

1. Black macbook new with edu discount 1399

2. refurbished black macbook 1299

3. refurbished MBP 1699

4. new MBP with edu discount 1799

I have heard the black MB are just as competent as the low end MBPs... any thought on how to proceed in my particular sitch?

Thanks!:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. vm7118 macrumors regular

the most cost efficient would be a the new macbook (santa rosa chipset, x3100 graphics both much better than what the refurbished macbook would get you).

that's what i would do if i were you, unless i was a heavy gamer, in which case the refurbished MBP would be the better route. also, if you really need a bigger screen, firewire 800, and an illuminated keyboard (also "standard" laptop vs macbook keyboard), go for the MBP.

i got a 2.4 MBP with the 7200 rpm 160gb hdd which i've recently upgraded to 4gb ram, and i honestly wish i had waited for the santa rosa macbooks, and just gotten one of those. i don't play enough games to justify the price difference... although i guess it is nice that i have the option to change that now.

3. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

thanks! This is really helpful and I'm leaning towards a new mb.

4. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

also, what is your thought on upgrading the ram on the black mb? Worth the $ or just better to go mbp at that pricepoint? Thanks again

5. ~J~ macrumors 6502

What are you going to be using it for? Thats the important question. If you are going to be gaming or doing video/audio/photo editing... MBP, definitely. If you are going to surf, email, download, write papers, etc... a new MB would be great for your purposes. All depends on what you want it to do.

6. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Questions to ask:

Do you like having nice graphics and do you play demanding games that require the MBP? If not, then get the MB

Do you travel? Having the 15" or even 17" is not always good. The MB is smaller and easier to travel with.

Do you care about look? If I was you I would much rather a MBP just because it is MUCH nicer than the MB.

How much money you want to spend? The new MB can address 4GB but only comes with 1GB, so you need to buy some more. The MBP comes with 2GB installed.

Firewire 400 and 800 Ports? Do you have devices that require the Firewire 800.

Express Card? Do you use any Express cards?

Just better? Get a MBP...you won't regret it.

7. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

hmmm... Im thinking again... I am a musician and have done audio recording/editing and plan to get back into, which is one major reason to think MBP in the first place. Now Im leaning more towards refurb MBP LOL:rolleyes:

8. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

I think I just decided to order the refurb MBP. If I went MB again Im positive I would still crave MBP.. (I know myself) thanks for the feedback!