What should i use to get on msn?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by equalsabracket, Feb 5, 2009.

1. equalsabracket macrumors regular

I just got a new macbook pro and am currently using adium but it's having problems:

1. One of my friends' display pictures is there but isn't showing up in adium so i can't see it.
    2. On the family iMac in the other room it sometimes had problems updating my name or even keeping it the same on both accounts.
    3. Most of the time files which i'm trying to send show up as failed on my contact's end but on my end are still showing up as unaccepted and sometimes it just doesn't show my contact that i'm trying to send a file. This is most of the time.

Does anybody know a way in which to fix these problems? I also wish to use webcam with my MSN contacts but that feature isn't in Adium. The problem is, aMSN (which does have this feature) doesn't have support for more than 1 account (i have 2 msn accounts i use at the same time) and as far as i'm aware the other option is Mercury Messenger and they both look very ugly (and aMSN very windows-like).

Does anybody know what i could possibly do to fix these problems? MSN is the major weakness that OS X has and yet, along with firefox, it's one of my most used programs and not really a place where there should be a sacrifice.

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I guess you've tried MSN for Mac and didn't like it?

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

This has been discussed more than most topics here - have a little search and I'm sure you'll find out all you need to know :)

4. Hyde244 macrumors member

Hyde244

I just use the Mac MSN Messenger and it serves well for talking to friends on MSN.

I too had problems with Adium when trying to connect to MSN.

5. equalsabracket thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, i've tried MSN for Mac. That's not very good. Would there be a way to use windows live messenger for windows (which is what it's called now - i wouldn't expect you mac people to know that since the name change didn't happen on macs :p) using the mac without having to restart and boot into vista?

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You assumed that there are no Mac users among Hotmail subscribers, none among MSN subscribers, none among MSNBC subscribers, and none among Live.com subscribers? And you also assumed that no Mac users also use Windows? You assume a lot.

7. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I switch back in forth between Adium and MSN for Mac. I prefer MSN though, it just needs some updates...webcam, handwriting, and offline messages would be great.

8. plushter77 macrumors newbie

9. RRutter macrumors 6502

I like aMsn, but the layout and theme of it seems a bit too childish for me.. Other than that, It's pretty decent. I don't like any of the MSN Messengers for Mac. So I use Windows to chat on MSN Messenger.

But, if you had to pick one, aMsn by far would win!

10. equalsabracket thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, i didn't mean to sound insulting or anything there. I just wasn't sure if you would get confused or not when i said "windows live messenger" since everybody still refers to it as MSN and the change only happened on PCs. Sorry if it sounded demeaning or anything though.

When you use aMSN, what themes do you use because it is a pretty ugly program to use?