What should Leopard steal from Vista?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mcmuffy, Apr 17, 2007.

1. mcmuffy macrumors newbie

I have tried Vista and to be honest it is not that bad. I do not use it as my main OS however due to the fact that it annoys the s**t out of me by asking for permission to do something every two minutes (or so it seems).
    It does however have a few nice features that Apple really should 'borrow' and stick in Leopard with the start bars navigation system being top of my list. I think all system menus should work this way.
    Any other suggestions?

Ray
    -----
    READ CAREFULLY. By [reading this message] you agree, on behalf of yourself and/or your employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of either yourself and/or your employer.

2. capone2 macrumors regular

well.....

something apple should have done a long time ago. is the ability to change the color and look of the OS like windows was always able to do.

Mac OS X should have different shades to change the look. maybe even the option of getting rid of those stripes in the windows.

otherwise its perfect. well, im sort of tired of the dock and the bouncing icons.....

Oh and the ability to control the transparency of the windows, like Vista!

3. bartelby macrumors Core

4. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

By the power vested in me (by no particiular authority whatsoever ;) ) I declare this the post of the day! :D

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The start bar? Would you say more about why you'd like one?

My list...some for me and some for others:

- Easy multisession CDR / DVDR from Finder
    - Compatibility with MS techs that people sadly use -- WMP10/11, Windows Live videoconferencing, etc.
    - Better network setup tools, etc, for admins -- adequate tools for image-based installs are kind of late coming to OS X, unless I'm mistaken (first in Leopard server?)

That's about it.

8. mcmuffy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yooz is my hero for the rest of the day :D

9. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

nothing...

if you want vista features use fecking vista for christ sake:rolleyes:

10. nplima macrumors 6502a

11. MacVault macrumors 65816

SilentPanda is my hero of the day!

12. Nightkrawler macrumors regular

rather minor/not really needed things:
    • Superfetch/readyboost: it would greatly reduce the app loading time, but the hdd access time would go up a lot. (for example it would reduce the slow first start speed from firefox)
    • The layer from UAC that prevents other programs clicking the allow button: or does osx already has something that prevents applications "clicking the allow button" for you when it needs administrative rights? :confused:
    • administrative tools: just look at for example the vista event viewer, its quite powerful (granted, it isn't that needed in osx than in windows :p )
    • finder/explorer: slideshow from folder without starting a new app, bars signaling free disk space, changing thumbnail size without opening a new window, also the addressbar is very nice in vistas explorer, it really would make things faster for me, ability to extract archives to another location... (actually pathfinder has most the things i need)
    hmm, ok theming option would be OK, but really not needed.

edit:
    thanks, not as easy as clicking one "play slideshow" button, but its enough :eek:

13. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

In Finder: select all images in a folder, right click, click "slideshow"

14. BlackDan macrumors 6502

It needs as little of vista as possible.

What I'd want is that you could turn of ALL the eyecandy and not wast cpu-(or gpu-) cycles on it and just have a superresponsive UI. Actually, they should make it exactly like DOS 6.22 :D

Nah, just kidding.

15. rtcruz1 macrumors member

a true maximize window button

After spending some time in Vista.. I still think the Mac OS is definitely the superior operating system, but I do have one small windows feature that I'd LOVE to have incorporated into the Mac OS. In Vista, and previous versions of windows, you have the option to expand a window to fit an entire screen by clicking on the expand windows button.. You can also do that on a Mac by clicking on the round green button, but it only does it on some programs (like iPhoto). So in other programs, I usually end up having to manually resize a window to stretch and fill the screen. If I'm missing a way to do it with a keystroke combo, someone let me know!

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The green button makes a window as large as it needs to be. If the data is larger than the screen, then the window will be full screen, But Mac are not supposed have windows at full screen unless truly needed. Apple boasts about the Mac's multitasking ability. To have a window at full screen when it is not necessary goes against this. Basically, if you want to have a full screen window and the green button does not fit your needs, you're out of luck.

And by the way, most long time Mac users will ague against your suggestion. I'm not saying either is right or wrong, but Apple probably won't change something that their most dedicated lifelong users already like.

17. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

I would say market share hope I am not repeating anyone's prior post.:D

18. icrude macrumors regular

YES!!

19. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i love it how windows in vista fade in and out. i'm a sucker for eye candy. it's shameful. :eek:

20. imageforce macrumors newbie

imageforce

only two things...

- in the open dialogues of every programm in windows (95, 98, me, 2000, xp, vista) you can use right-click functions as if you were in "normal" explorer to, for example, rename, delete or whatever!

- they should make iChat able to deal with msn messenger contacts.

i wouldn`t want apple to gain more market-share! that way it`ll not be anything special to own a mac!
    then everyone says: "oh i just bought the new mac." and you`re like:" ... yes ... i started using `em like 4 years ago!!!"
    i don`t like that idea.

21. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

A feature that both Vista and XP have I would like is the quick image preview when opening a folder full of pictures.

Yes I know Mac OS X has this feature but it is painfully slow at generating image previews when a folder has several hundred pictures. Whereas in XP and Vista once a preview has been generated in a given folder, the preview is stored in the thumbs.db file for the folder, the original preview generation is also far more rapid. Once that preview is stored in the thumbs.db file the preview generation is extremely fast.

I would also like the view option for filmstrip like in Windows.

I do not know if it is available or not in OS X, though I could never find it, is something like msconfig. So that I could disable startup processes that I do not use thereby saving some memory, decrease page filing slightly and save CPU cycles.

22. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

I luv Mac, but....

From a developer's point of view, I am a fan of MSDN. While this is not Vista specific, I wish there were more code examples and a better organization of dev information on the Apple Site.

I just need a code snippet to examine, not a book on the subject.

In my opinion, MS has Apple beat here. If this area were improved, maybe more people could miore quickly code even more apps for Mac.

Max.

23. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

2nd this, finder's pic thumbnail is pretty ugly to use.

24. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi