What should my first ipod be?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sousa203, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Sousa203 macrumors member

i'm lookking to buy a new ipod with no budget limitations. I NEVER delete my music so my library is stacking up. What should be my first ipod?

2. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

For you I would say you should get the iPod classic, but I would wait until Apple updates them for the holiday season.

3. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

Well, if budget is no limitation I would go for the 32 GB ipod touch. If you would rather take your whole music library with you (and if it is BIG) then maybe go with the larger capacity classic.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

iPod classic. Wait until after they've been updated in September.

5. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

You say that your library is growing huge, but what size is it? Depending on how large, I would go for the 32 GB iPod touch, or a 160 GB iPod classic if price isn't an issue, but it honestly depends on the actual size of your library. But wait until the holiday updates.

7. jeremyrader macrumors member

Do you have frequent access to a wireless network when away from home (i.e. college campus, work, McDonald's, etc.)? Then I would suggest to go with the iPod Touch and iGet Mobile (or something similar) for complete access to your entire iTunes Library back home, more apps and games than other iPods, a bigger screen for movies, and just the dang cool factor.

Are you in need of a phone as well and are OK with committing $1500 or so over the next 2 years on the phone and required service? Then the iPhone (and iGet Mobile) would be even better (no wireless network needed, just a signal from AT&T).

Do you just have some phobia about being more than a few inches away from an intangible digitized music collection? Than a suitably sized iPod Classic is probably the answer. The same goes if neither of the above apply to you. Unless:

Do you run/jog? Then a Nano is probably the answer thanks to it's no-moving-parts flash memory and Nike+, which is particularly cool, in my opinion (and may soon come to the Touch). It's not as powerful as some of the portable GPS solutions out there, but it's significantly cheaper and still useful enough as a training tool. Keep in mind that the Touch and iPhone are also flash-based, so Nike+ is the only real bonus (for now) going this route since both of those have bigger capacities and the ability to connect back home...

The Shuffle, of course, is out of the question...

My music collection is about 18GB (plus another 30GB or so between the wife and kids), another 4-5GB of photos at any given time, plus 60GB and growing daily worth of movies on my server. Obviously, taking it all with me is not an option... I went with the Nano, even with the "monetary leverage" to buy whatever I wanted. Next time it will probably be the Touch.

8. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I'm staying away from the HD based iPods from now on. My last one died in about a year. I vote for the iPod Touch 32 GB. The Touch does so much more with the wifi capability that it's a no-brainer (IMHO) if price isn't a consideration.

At some point you're not going to be able to carry all of your iTunes library with you anyway, even if you get the 80/160 GB HD model. 32 GB seems like a reasonable point to make some decisions about what to carry with you, while still being able to have a wide selection of audio and video.

9. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

10. Sousa203 thread starter macrumors member

ya. i prbably should have specified how large my library is lol... its about 1.2 gigs now and growing because i just got itunes going lol. I guestimate a growth up to about 10 or 12 gigs at the most (it may not even reach that). i def want the internet wifi option of the touch and right now that one's looking most likely. What do you guys have and why did you get 'em? sharing of your stories would really help me make my final decision. thanx :D

11. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

Well, I've got a 1st gen nano right now that I hold onto for running (over 300 miles logged with nike+ and going strong!). I got it for the size and fact that I never really need my whole itunes library with me.

Right now I'm seriously considering a 16gb ipod touch especially for watching movies on the subway and train out of the city and the new app store. If only budget wasn't an issue:D

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

it's pretty easy to rake up a 30GB+ iTunes library if you're into ripping your movies to your iPod. Do you think that'd be an issue?

13. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Well, if you're only going to reach 10-12 gigs, I'd go with the 16 or 32 gig touch, especially if you want wifi. However, you're library may soon out grow that and if that happens, you should go for a classic. But, like many others have stated, don't buy until after they are updated, which should be around September.

14. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

No budget and all your music would equal an iPod classic I would think. Now if you want to use your iPod for more than music and movies, you may want to look at the iPod touch.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get a iPod touch and load up the songs you hear the most; then get a Classic and load the rest of your library onto that.

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

As cool as the iPod touch is, when I had one it just seemed too crippled, it was annoying how iPhone users could do all their fancy internet tasks anywhere and iPod touch users are stuck in wifi hotspots. (yes, I understand that apple didn't really cripple the touch in that way)

I think that for a first iPod the Classic really should be everyone's first (it's just so standard) and an iPhone should be your next priority (maybe a year or so from now).

I still have to argue, hands down, the best iPod ever is the second gen iPod nano. The proportions and slick metal enclosure were too much to pass up even though I had gotten a new iPod 5G just a few months before.

17. albusseverus macrumors 6502a

albusseverus

iPhone 16GB

iPhone - you only want one thing to carry around and it does it all, pretty well.

iTunes makes it dead easy to shunt parts of your library on & off the device if you need the space.

The Touch has good capacity and works well if you have wifi. Expect more capacity in iPhone next year, although The Touch will always have more.

And most importantly, new iPods are expected in September. It would be inadvisable to buy before then... if you can wait.

18. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

80 GB Classic is a great buy! Lots of room, long battery life, and a nice screen. The iPod Touch is nice, but the Classic is a music lovers dream.

19. Mjmar macrumors 65816

The Touch is definitely where it's at nowadays. If you don't have a budget limitation go for the 32gb. Touch.

20. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I have the 2-gen 4GB nano. Love it. Size was the important thing: I wanted something that was easy to travel with, take in my car, fit in pocket, go the gym, etc.

It's battery is losing stamina, so I've considered replacing it. But I don't know what I'd get today. What I really want is a 16 GB nano. My collection is about 6 GB, so it would hold everything plus some video.

I wouldn't get a classic. That doesn't suit me at all. The Touch is cool, but I really like hard button controls, and it's expensive. And big. After a nano, everything else seems gargantuan :)

21. The Killer Fuzz macrumors member

The Killer Fuzz

yeah, i think if you dont have a budget limit, the 32gb touch is a great option. and still, 32gigs is 8,000 songs. But if you can wait, wait because the new ipods should come out relatively soon. hope that helps

22. Sousa203 thread starter macrumors member

wow. i honestly didn't expect so many replies lol. The touch is looking like the most likely option come september. Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate and can't wait to own my first Apple-Made device:cool:

23. Sousa203 thread starter macrumors member

That should really not be an issue considering i ormally watch movies once and then put them away. I'm mostly getting an ipod for music and the touch for YouTube how to's on fixing/tweaking/hacking my electronics.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Then get yourself a 32GB iPod touch.

25. Sousa203 thread starter macrumors member

But there's also the issue of protecting a 32 GB touch. Many cases simply can't get around it lol. But that's probably what i'll do anyways. I'll just get a case for it on amazon. Trust me, come september you guys will see this in my signature: :apple:(16 or 32)GB iPod Touch