Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
So this is what I have:

D90
Nikkor 12-24 mm lens
NIkkor 18-70 mm lens (kit lens)
tamron 70-300
tamron 180 macro
SB-900 speed light
Slick carbon fiber tripod (used for backpacking)
Some cheap mount for tripod

This is what I am thinking of getting:

Better head/mount for tripod
More heavy duty tripod
Some type GND filter (suggestions welcome here, been experimenting with low light dusk shots, and the results arent that great so far)

I didnt include any lenses, I feel the ones I have now are decent enough, although I wouldnt mind getting a higher qaulity lens in the 24-70 lens or a different macro lens.

Of course the one option I have is not to buy anything, and just spend more time behind my camera and get the most out of that before I get more stuff.
The problem with that is I really would like to improve my low light shooting technique, and Im not sure I can do that without the use of a filter set.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Of course the one option I have is not to buy anything, and just spend more time behind my camera and get the most out of that before I get more stuff.

Always the default option, I reckon...

The problem with that is I really would like to improve my low light shooting technique, and Im not sure I can do that without the use of a filter set.

You don't need filters to do low-light photography... you just wait till the sun goes down. ;)

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Always the default option, I reckon...

You don't need filters to do low-light photography... you just wait till the sun goes down. ;)

Actually Ive been trying to capture early morning scenes and scenes at dusk to capture some lighting effects that occur at that time and everything turns out underexposed or overexposed.

oculus42

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2002
Maine
I bought a lens with image stabilization and f/2.8, as well as an f/1.8 lens. Then it's just a challenge to stay in focus.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Actually Ive been trying to capture early morning scenes and scenes at dusk to capture some lighting effects that occur at that time and everything turns out underexposed or overexposed.

A grey grad will help. Lots of people say you have to spend $$$, but I use a (cheap) Cokin P grad filter... and its fine (no magenta cast, which you get with some grey grad filters).

oculus42

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2002
Maine

At that point it's mostly delicately adjusting the settings manually.

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
FWIW, I have both Cokin and hi-tech graduated filters and both have magenta casts. If I had the money (which I don't) I'd buy a Singh-Ray ND grad. Two stops and a soft gradient seems to be kind of the default, though I use three stops most often for sunsets.

That said, neither filter has a magenta cast on digital except under the most extreme circumstances. But on slide film it's extremely noticeable in underexposed areas. But it seems you have enough money to buy better filters, so why not?

For sunsets, ND grads are pretty much necessary... If you plan to shoot side-lit landscapes at magic hour, throw in a circular polarizer. They're useless if you're shooting into the sun, though. And on extreme wide angle lenses (like your Nikon) they will polarize unevenly so one chunk of the sky is darker than the rest, but the effect is still extremely valuable for late day photography and anything involving water, as well as for glare reduction on leaves, etc.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Depends a lot on how fast the light is changing and how long your exposures are, but you can always blend exposures, expose for the lightest part first, since that changes the most, then the darker part.

Paul

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
A nice bag to put it all in :p I recommend kata bags http://www.kata-bags.com/index.asp?UP1=OK
I have this one http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?Version=Photo&p_Id=508 and its great (for me)

If you already have one (probably a high chance) I would recommend highly getting some cokin filters ( and holder), they can really improve your shots ( make them a lot more "creative")

Yeah, I already own a lowepro trekker. Really nice bag. Im really leaning towards a cokin holder and a ND grad of some type. Gotta choose wise!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.