Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjwebb

macrumors regular
May 19, 2003
Australia
WebCT

WebCT does work but not all the time.

For example, it doesn't always want to access the discussions area.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Safari didn't work well at http://www.futureshop.ca at all until a few months ago. Its an electronic store, and many of the product links wouldn't work before. Now they do. :)

Also, at the HMV website, many times they'll provide you with 30-second clips of every song on the album. I can't access these free 30-second clips using Safari or Firebird. Sometimes it'll work in IE. :(

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
You guys make it sound too complicated.

The bottom line is that if you have the latest version of Safari and the latest OS you should have no problem with 99.99% of web sites. And the majority of those that you do encounter problems on can be viewed through IE.

So . . . since the upside of having a Mac is the use of the Mac OS, there is absolutely no reason to not get a Mac because of some fear of bad Internet browsing. In fact, when you get your new Mac, you'll see that you are moving along much faster using Safari -- so the upside is huge, the downside minimal.

josepho

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
Surrey, England
12ibookg4 said:
to get the debug menu:
enter the following in terminal while safari is not runnning

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

(if you want to get rid of the menu then change the 1 to a 0)

I've done this and, lo-and-behold, the Debug menu has appeared. However, when I select Use Agent, and choose IE 6.0 for Windows for example it doesn't affect the way which sites (like Launch) treat me - they still say that I have to use some old Netscape 4.7x version for the Mac. Surely Safari should be sending Agent data which doesn't give away my real 'identity'...

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
I think the thing to remember here is that Safari is very new - think back at IE v1 and all the things that that didn't support and all the bugs showing there. Safari will only get better and websites will be designed with this in mind, low and behold we may even have websites that only run properly with Safari and its very strict rules.

Anyone using DreamWeaver 2004 should see this already since you can check your websites to see if they work right in Safari aswell as the usual EI, Netscape etc.

Don't worry about it, as other users have said, the benifits far outway the disadvantages!

Mark.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I'm interested in why Safari might display correctly for one user, but not another. My bill pay on Wachovia will not display data, only the header, yet another user has told me that they have no problem using bill pay with Wachovia. I use Panther and the latest Safari. I have Java enabled, etc. just like the other user. It just puzzles me. This is the only site that I still use IE for... Any further suggestions?

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
josepho said:
I've done this and, lo-and-behold, the Debug menu has appeared. However, when I select Use Agent, and choose IE 6.0 for Windows for example it doesn't affect the way which sites (like Launch) treat me - they still say that I have to use some old Netscape 4.7x version for the Mac. Surely Safari should be sending Agent data which doesn't give away my real 'identity'...
For some reason when the new window opens, it reverts back the agent setting. Check the debug menu after going to Launch and try to watch a movie. Use Omniweb and change its setting, its sticks, but there is still a problem, Windows Media Player cant play the windows media on the site!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.