What size and specs for MBP for my uses?

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
i currently have a mac mini early 2009 but will be selling for MBP soon because i need a laptop for portability (obviously).

so my uses besides regular day to day stuff will be video and picture editing... Aperture 3 and FCPX with 1080p HD video. maybe some gaming here and there but nothing too heavy. HD and RAM are not a factor because i would upgrade those on my own with OWC anyways for more/cheaper. (but 8 or 16GB of ram? 8 would be sufficent no?)

so i guess my question is what CPU and GPU wise should i have for those tasks?? im thinking 15inch.

thanks

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
i currently have a mac mini early 2009 but will be selling for MBP soon because i need a laptop for portability (obviously).

so my uses besides regular day to day stuff will be video and picture editing... Aperture 3 and FCPX with 1080p HD video. maybe some gaming here and there but nothing too heavy. HD and RAM are not a factor because i would upgrade those on my own with OWC anyways for more/cheaper. (but 8 or 16GB of ram? 8 would be sufficent no?)

so i guess my question is what CPU and GPU wise should i have for those tasks?? im thinking 15inch.

thanks
both the ealry and late 2011 base models would be more than enough for those things

Comment

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
anybody? thanks for the answer above, but I'm looking for more of a specific answer from the current options of the CPU's and GPU's in the 15in

Comment

dutchnewbie

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2012
The Hague - The Netherlands
Oops, I'm sorry. I was thinking of the differences between 13" and 15", not the two different 15s. Someone else can offer better insight on the differences.
I think the most important differences between the 13 and 15" are:

13" has a dualcore processor and the 15" quadcore (the current model)
13" has a lower screen resolution then the 15"
13" does not have a dedicated GPU like the 15" has

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.