What size Apple tablet would you want?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Epicurus, Dec 3, 2007.

?

What size Apple tablet would you want?

1. 7-9" multi-touch screen, Custom/Optimized OS X

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. 11-12" multi-touch screen, Regular Mac OS X

23 vote(s)
    74.2%
  1. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

There is some debate to the size of the tablet Apple would produce, if and when they do put out such a device. Either they can take the iPhone/iPod touch and develop it into a small tablet (7-9" multi-touch screen, totally custom/fully optimized OS X) or they can take the MacBook and strip off the keyboard (leaving an 11-12" multi-touch screen, regular Mac OS X with small changes). The question is, which size do we really want?

--- --- ---

My vote would be for the smaller of the two, with a custom OS. Such a device is not going to replace my laptop or serve as my primary machine, so it doesn't really need the full Mac OS X. The small format and multi-touch lends the device to a more peculiar set of uses. I see it as a perfect PDF/eBook reader, a platform for editing and annotating documents (cut, copy, paste make a triumphant return), an ideal system Keynote (for making the presentations and doing any last minute changes), and as a better portable "Internet Communicator" than the iPhone (better web browsing with Flash, better email with text formatting and multiple attachments). An eBook addition to the iTunes Store would also make me very happy... :D

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I like the Bigger iPhone concept too. The iPhone's just a little small for me to navigate and see. Something on the line of a 4 x 7 giving you an 8" diagonal touch screen. Keep it as thin as possible, an on/home button, volume & headphone/audio out jack, and maybe a card reader. Camera couldn't hurt.

Sign me up. :apple:

3. mooncaine macrumors regular

Given only those 2 choices, I have to go with the one that has 'real' Mac OSX on it... but I'd be glad to have it in the smaller size.

4. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

5. mpw Guest

No 10" option? Boooo!

Of those options I'd go with the 'full spec' 11" option, just so long that along with the iPhone-esque multi-touch touch screen it includes a 'traditional' stylus input option too.

6. iMan G5 macrumors member

I would like to vote for the 12" Powerbook.. I mean Macbook Pro with touch screen. That would be nice :D

7. Bambeezer macrumors regular

Are you guys even sure there a market for an Apple tablet?

In my job, I do a lot of testing with tablets and UMPCs. There are huge trade offs to using those devices. Most are used for order entry or presentations. My company is investigating them for our mobile sales force.

Industry and customer expectations for a tablet or UMPC:
    1. high speed broad band card
    2. convertible option for tablet or
    3. docking station

My hope if Apple does produce a tablet or ultra portable will be a built in broadband card and some sort of a dock that allows you to connect external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

In fact, I think a built in broadband card should be a high priority for Apple.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

A4 - with those scanning pixels mentioned in patents a long time back would make the perfect tablet/scanner/student dream. I could take a handout scan it in and annotate it.

9. bennypod macrumors member

No not real os x, because interfaces like the iPhone and the iPod touch are much easier to navigate, dunno though lets see what happens (if anything fingers crossed though!)Apple will probly have somthing just mind blowing!