What size are the new iPad 3 Retina graphics?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacFanJeff, Feb 20, 2012.

1. MacFanJeff macrumors regular

I am working on some graphics for an iPad 2 app and will soon convert them to iPad 3 "retina" size. What I am trying to find out is what size are the app icons and also the buttons inside the main app icon specified at? The screen background is obviously 2048x1536 9.7", but I do not see an official Apple listing for what size the app icons for both the main app launch and inside should be.

While I know app icons on the inside when launched vary, there is usually something from Apple about this too. Any help would be appreciated so I can start on the new graphics.

2. Emoo, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

Emoo macrumors regular

I doubt they'll tell anyone until the supposed retina display actually shows up, but since the display seems to be just a straight doubling the current width/height, couldn't you just double the width and height of current app graphics?

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Until Apple officially announces the iPad 3, you will get no official answer. But, as Emoo said, it's a pretty safe bet to think you can simply double the dimensions for the retina versions.

4. psonice macrumors 6502a

Indeed, this is all rumours and speculation so any work you do on 'retina graphics' could be utterly pointless if they launch it with the same screen as the iPad 2, or if they don't announce anything at all (they haven't officially acknowledged the iPad 3 *at all* yet!)

But, if you think it's worth being prepared and you want to take that risk (it could well pay off):

All the rumours suggest it'll be exactly double the current size. This is exactly what they did with the iPhone 4, and it makes sense technically. So that would be:

2048 * 1536 screen res
    114 * 114 icon
    2008 * 1536 or 2048 * 1496 launch image

In other words, just double the size of whatever you've got now. Vector art usually just needs minor tweaks, any pixel art will need reworking a bit.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Exactly the same as the iPad 1/2 versions, except doubled in each dimension.