What size for me (MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cadfaeltex, Oct 23, 2009.

1. cadfaeltex macrumors newbie

Ok, done some searching and looked at the sticky but I'm still undecided about what size to get. I had originally decided on a 17inch MBP but now I'm leaning towards getting a smaller MBP and a new iMac. I'm not looking top of the line but I would like to be able to play WOW on occasion and do some on the road photo stuff (but nothing to the level of pixel peeping). I'm looking at the faster of the 2 13 inch MBP variations versus a 15 inch with the same basic specs. What I'm worried about is the 13 inch having enough horsepower to do the simple photo and games that I'd like it to do.

Right now I have basically the same setup that I'm looking at doing again. A 20 inch iMac G5 and 12.1 inch iBook G4 both bought last half of 2005 (just after the iBook was updated - remember my order was delayed waiting on the new specs). The iMac can run WOW fairly well BTW, just lag evident in the trade district in SW.

TIA and hopefully this isn't too redundant with other questions.

Tony

2. vant macrumors 65816

If you are comparing the base MBP15 vs the MBP13, there is really no difference. The MBP15 will have lower frame rates due to the resolution.

The MBP15 2.66 is the ideal laptop for gaming on the budget IMHO. It comes with the 9600 GPU.

I would avoid the high-end MBP13 as the differences are negligible for the price (buy the 4GB RAM separately and an SSD instead).

3. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

The CPUs are mostly identical. WOW will look fantastic on the high-end 15 and the 17, but will play fine on the lower as well.

Here's a problem for you, though, since you're a photographer: the resolution on the 15" SUCKS when compared to the screen size. More about this here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8614824

I went for the 17", and I also do a lot of photos and a shameful amount of wow on occasion :(

4. vant macrumors 65816

5. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

I agree. Get either the low end 13" and upgrade to your needs as well as an iMac OR just the 17" MBP.

6. cadfaeltex thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies and I'm a little surprised by some of them. But then again, that's why I asked. Didn't want to ask about the ssd because that seemed to be a contentious issue. But truth be told I was considering it because my job tends to land me in rough places (Iraq and Afghanistan for instance). So a 27 inch iMac and a base MBP 13 with an SSD and more Ram might be a good combo.

Also, just want to make sure, the MBP will play WOW ok for road trips etc? :apple:

Final thought, what extras would you recommend for what I've stated - 4 GB ram, ssd drive, other?

7. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

I have ran WoW successfully on my old Black Macbook, and my Unibody Macbook that I used to have... was the 2.4Ghz 2GB RAM, 9400M GPU. That was with the stock 5400RPM 250GB hard drive too. Both ran WoW. The Blackbook had a little more trouble. But the uMB got decent frame rates (with ALL graphics on low and things like death effect, full screen glow disabled).

I have since upgraded to a 15" 2.8 Ghz Macbook Pro with the 9400M/9600 GPU... The 9600 is really nice. :)

BUT-- if size is your issue, go for the 13" MBP. It will get the job done, I played WoW exclusively on it for a year with little problems. Or, more precisely I played WoW on the uMB for a year with little problems. Though-- the uMB is just the 13" MBP w/o FW or SD slot. God, I hate Apple for putting my resale value in the trash with that product rebranding. >/

EDIT:
    I have also done basic photoshopping on the uMB. It was also a pleasant experience. Should be even better if you have the 4GB RAM. :p

8. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Oooh, get 4gb of ram for WoW as well. Should run like buttah!