What Size iPad Did You Go For?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MikeM87, Jul 4, 2012.

1. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Hey guys,

I have an iPad first gen and i'm just wondering what size iPad you went for am thinking of upgrading to the new iPad. I'd like another 32GB one or possibly a 64GB.

It seems most people who have a 32GB at the moment would drop down to a 16GB given the chance although I like to keep alot of media with me when i'm on the go.

I often like to keep a few films with me as well as some books and also have quite a few apps installed on the device.

Anyway whats your opinion on this guys? :confused:

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

There are many threads on this topic, but the truth is with retina enabled apps taking up more space and more folks storing movies etc 64gb is the way to go. I wanted 128GB but had to settle for the top end wifi only 64.

You really do need that extra space now, I find myself juggling space on my new one like I never had to with the 2.

3. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Ok thanks. I can justify the 32GB but the 64GB moves from "tablet price" into more laptop territory if that makes sense.

Suppose I may just need to bite the bullet!

4. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

64gb. Better to have extra space than not enough.

5. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

You may also want to keep in mind that we're living in the era of The Cloud. This has become a solution for many that want to make the most out of their local storage. I store approximately 9GB of documents and pictures in Dropbox so that I can leave enough room in my iOS devices for music, movies, and apps. I rarely have a need to view any of the stuff in Dropbox, but knowing that I can quickly access it thru the iOS app is always a nice thing. Both my, iPhone and iPad, are 32GB.

6. jojoba macrumors 68000

I really depends on your use pattern. If I deleted my music, I would be quite fine with a 16GB. With my iPad2, I only used 8GB of my storage. When I upgraded to 3gen, I got the 64 partially because I knew I wanted to put a lot of music and possibly a couple of movies on there, and partially because I wanted to keep it for a couple of years (not into the yearly upgrade thing). But I'm still at about 20GB in usage, and that includes a fair amount of music as well as my entire research library of about 1600 documents. IME, the increase in app size with the retina display hasn't been that significant, and as someone else said, it's quite easy to work cloud based these days.

7. iDave macrumors 6502a

8. ManUMark macrumors member

My 1 is 16G and that was plenty. My 3 is 32G and i would have run out of space if it were smaller. I guess an iPad is like a goldfish in that it grows to the size of the bowl but IMHO 16 is too small. 32 good enough for most and 64 a luxury.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I went with a 16GB 3rg gen.

Looking back on it, I kind of wish I went with a 32 or 64 instead. But I'll survive.

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

It's going to depend on what the people who reply use it for and thus what you're going to use it for.

I had a 64gb 1 and never came close to using all the space. I don't keep my library of music or movies on it thus storage wasn't issue. File wise, I prefer Box as cloud based storage for mobile devices just makes sense to me. I do keep some things local but not much.

11. Iwolf macrumors newbie

Iwolf

I went with the 16 GB with cloud storage it was more important to me to have the 4G LTE so that's where I spent my $ :)

12. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Went with the 64 myself. I'm probably going to be traveling for work soon, and it'll be nice to be able to throw a few movies and maybe a TV season on there for the wait at the Airport and during the flights.

13. BrerSam macrumors member

I went for the 16GB last time and it was not enough, always having to swap stuff so next time i will go for the 32

14. WSR macrumors regular

I got a 64GB, but would have gotten a 128GB if it had been available.

Note that if you need to carry more films than will fit on to your iPad and are not interested in iCloud, check into the AirStash. It allows you to keep files in SD cards. Then it creates a wifi spot with no internet, but you can then stream the films from the SD card. It worked well for me on a 9hr car trip.

15. chokem macrumors 6502

I had a 16GB iPad 1, and quickly ran out of space on it. This time I got the 32GB IP3, and have roughly 65 apps, and about 1600 photos and still have over 15 gigs free.

16. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Still waiting. :D

17. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

I was running out of space with 16GB on my iPad 2, so I went with the 64GB model this time around as app sizes were increasing when they had retina support added. (Some by a little, others by a lot)

Right how I have 36.5GB used, and that is without any music or videos stored on the device. (I use home sharing to stream them)

At a push, I could probably make do with 32GB though.

Mostly it seems to depend whether you want to use the device for games and/or videos. For anything else, you would probably be fine with 16/32GB.

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I usually always go for the top of the line with the most storage in Mac, iPhone and iPad, so I went 64 GB

I have about 22 GB free at the moment

19. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I have a 3rd gen 16Gb. I never even come close to running out of space since the only thing I actually store on it are pictures/books/comics. Everything else, I stream.

20. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Hey guys just a quick update...

I went for the 32gb iPad in white. I was tempted by the 64gb but couldn't really justify the extra money and also I've always has enough space with the 32gb so stuck with this.

Best update my sig now then too ;)