What size iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppleFan922, Oct 23, 2010.

1. AppleFan922 macrumors member

I'm planning on starting up again with college in early December, it's gonna be an online college that only uses etextbooks. I plan on taking 4-5 classes per semester. The only thing that I have had trouble with is trying to gauge what size iPad to get. Right now, I have a 16gb iPhone 4, that has 4gb left of memory on it. I'm not too familiar with the file sizes of pdf's, or whatever extension etextbooks come. Right now, I'm leaning towards the 32gb model. I would rather have too much then not enough. Does anyone here have any experience with using the iPad for college textbooks? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

eBooks are rather small, but I think middle of the ground is great ... 32 GB.

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Are the eBooks in an open format (pdf?).

I have the 32G iPad and it's the right size for me. That said, most of the space is used up on audio and video files (with some large-ish games too). I have a fair number of books, but they don't take much space.

I've also started storing a lot more stuff 'in the cloud'. I have all my pdf files on Dropbox - and the Dropbox app on the iPad can quickly access those to enable me to read any of them without being installed permanently. It's a good compromise.

So, you could probably get by with just the 16G - although I agree with Jessica that the 32G is the sweet spot if you can afford it.

4. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Agreed.. Go with the 32GB. It's better to have more than room than you need then not having enough.

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Just echoing the already fine recommendations made here...

32GB is the sweet spot IMO balancing capacity and price. I have a 32GB and store a handful of albums and a few videos (primarily for showcasing the iPad's capabilities to those who ask)... and primarily use it for the apps and photos.

Current contents:
    290 songs, 7 movies/TV episodes, 1800 photos, 85 apps, 22 books: 17GB free.

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Yes. Go for the 32GB. I have one and it's awesome. I have a ton of books and PDFs on it, and plan on using it for school.