What Size is the new MacBook Pro's SuperDrive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HotFieryTech, Mar 1, 2011.

1. HotFieryTech macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi all. I was considering upgrading my MacBook Pro by putting the 500 GB HD in the SuperDrive's spot with the data doubler from OWC and putting an SSD in its place. Since I will take the SuperDrive out, I was wondering what the size was so that I could buy the right type of enclosure for it.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Is putting an SSD in the computer worth it? I will just get a 60 GB one to install the system and any apps that I want to be faster.

2. benpatient macrumors 68000

i'm doing the exact same thing, and what i've seen so far is that it might be cheaper to just get an external dvd burner than to get an enclosure that will fit the mbp's superdrive properly.

If anyone has found one that is less than $30, please let me know, because all I've found is 30-60 dollar ones, which at that point you might as well get a stand-alone pre-built external burner.

the optibay kit comes with one, but it is 99 dollars.

the owc kit doesn't come with one, but it's only 30 bucks, so the 70 dollars certainly isn't worth the "free" enclosure.