What size MBP for use on lap?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joeswamp, Mar 13, 2011.

1. joeswamp macrumors newbie

OK so I'm going to buy a new MBP but I can't figure out what size. Currently I have a crap netbook at home and a huge 17" Dell laptop at work. The Dell is almost ridiculous, it's almost like hauling a desktop around and it's really too big to use unless you're sitting at a table. My home netbook is great sizewise (wonderful to use on your lap) but terrible in every other sense -- screen real estate is so small that it's hard to do multiple tasks, processor too slow to play hd video, etc.

I'll be using this machine for just about everything at home: light photo/video editing, some code development, in addition to of course email and web surfing. I will not be bringing this machine out of the house very often.

I was originally looking at the 13" but now I'm starting to lean towards the low end 15" as the extra screen real estate would be great. My question is: how pleasant is it to use a 15" on your lap (as opposed to a desk)? Most of the time when I'm using this machine I'll be sitting on the couch and I really appreciate this aspect of my netbook.

2. Mik3F macrumors 6502

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

4. adztaylor macrumors 68000

5. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

My 13 inch MacBook Pro fits perfectly in my lap.

6. brentsg macrumors 68030

I have a 15 and would hate to use it on my lap.

I'd go 13 MBP or Air.

7. hogsrul macrumors member

I have the 15" and I am so glad. The 13" would have been just a bit too small for me and I get the extra power. It's much lighter than my old HP 15" laptop and the apple fits well on my lap.

8. euphrus macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The 13" is perfect for the lap and I love it, but secretly I really love the 15"...has anyone found the 15" to be too big or heavy for using on your lap?

9. DudeMartin macrumors regular

When I was getting my first laptop, I thought that the 13" MBP would be too small. Actually, I took the 13" because I could not afford a 15", but I thought the 13" would be too small and uncomfortable nonetheless. Boy was I wrong! This thing is a joy use on your lap and carry around. It is light and pretty powerful, it really is the perfect balance of portability and power :)

10. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

11. DudeMartin macrumors regular

You have to be kidding me! I have been using the 2011 i5 13" on my lap quite a bit and it gets comfortably warm. I haven't tried holding it on my lap while gaming because well ... gaming on your lap is just really uncomfortable.

12. iZero, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

iZero macrumors regular

You'll mostly hear 13" or 15". We don't own a 13" MBP, but my wife has a 13" MBA. Excellent machine and bit of tech, it's just far too small for my lap, it has to sit on one leg because it's too narrow (for someone my build at least), and it's extremely uncomfortable to use that way for me. But it's perfect for her. Last year we had a 15" MBP, it was still a bit small for my liking. But it fit well enough. I just can't escape wanting the stability across my lap of the 17". Covers both legs so it's an even surface, never gets even so much as warm against my legs, doesn't rock or wiggle when I try to type or work. It's different for everyone :)

13. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Have had 13 and 15 MBP's in the past, as well as the 11 and 13" MBA by FAR my favorite computer to use on my lap is the 13" MBA. Not just on my lap, but also for 'everywhere / anywhere' use it's the winner, for my needs.

I do everything from Industrial Design, vector drawings with CS5, running Win7, amateur video and photo editing everything I throw at it it handles real well plus it's so thin and light, amazing computer.

14. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I only use a laptop on my lap when I really have to and when I do, its only for short periods. Generally, I don't recommend using any laptop on your lap especially for long periods... not even my 15" MBP. I've tried it and my lap felt like it was slowly being cooked. Saying that, my previous Windoze laptops were far worse as they all had vents on the underbelly (and a lot of them still do nowadays).

Can't speak for the 13" MBPs but apart from the slight heat issue, the 15" is a nicely sized lappy lappy.

15. skiltrip macrumors 68030

13" all the way. I love my 2011 15", but I miss my 2010 13" for a lot of reasons. The major one being the convenience and comfort of it's size. It's absolutely perfect for on the lap, on the couch, laying in bed, wherever.

The 15" isn't huge, but it's big enough to feel a little clumsier on the lap. It's just a different experience.

If the quad-core cpus were in the 13" for this refresh, I'd probably have bought a 13" instead.

16. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

13 as well but I would go for MBA if it were up to me

17. Cole JM macrumors regular

+1

18. saucy1360 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just ordered a 15" MBP, hopefully it won't be too big to use in my lap (I doubt it will be). I think a 13" would be ideal, but I had my heart set on a bigger, higher res, antiglare screen so I went with the 15".

19. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Apple's official stance is to never use Macbook on your lap (seriously!). It is a notebook not a laptop. And it will singe your leg hairs off. They actually came up with that a few years ago amidst complaints of heat on the Core Duo's. Love all the lawyerin'.

20. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

17". You don't have to have your knees touching to use it on your lap. Which is certainly more comfortable for guys. Especially as it allows extra airflow, helping with the cooling.

And it's still only 3 kg.

21. Kaidan macrumors member

Kaidan

I concur, MBA 13" ... a fantastic choice of notebook for lap use :)

22. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

23. ender land macrumors 6502a

wtf?

I'm using a 13" right now with my knees probably 8-12 inches apart.