Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Could someone tell me what size the monitor is? Thanks.

Attachments

• My_Powermac_G5_Quad_by_Springdales.jpg
    My_Powermac_G5_Quad_by_Springdales.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 101

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
It's weird how every G5 I've seen looks slightly different in other peoples set-ups

Yea, the fans look strange in that G5...

Computers like cars, bicycles, watches, and partners reflect a persons values. Mine sits on the adjacent desk a left arm reach away from the optical and in front a window to let the heat out..

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Yea, the fans look strange in that G5...

Computers like cars, bicycles, watches, and partners reflect a persons values. Mine sits on the adjacent desk a left arm reach away from the optical and in front a window to let the heat out..
"Computers like cars, bicycles, watches, and partners reflect a persons values."

What do you mean? :p

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Last edited:

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
This is a G5 Jive..

Never mind I don't read well..

No I don't know where to get them in the UK either..

I have the poor mans version 3 HDD's separated by foam core and 2way tape..
They're powered by molex to SATA and 2 AS media SATA Cards....

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
I didn't think there were any PCIe ports on a G5.

I have the late 2005 (which is the last version of powermac made) 2.5GHz Quad Powermac G5. Unfortunately, it has PCIe only expansion slots and PCIe graphics card.

There are more, cheaper and better choices for PCI/PCI-x Powermacs than the PCIe ones imho.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Looks like I might have to spend 350 UK pounds on a 23" Cinema Display :eek:

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Looks like I might have to spend 350 UK pounds on a 23" Cinema Display :eek:

If you really wanted a complete setup... it is hobby, is it? And an expensive hobby.

Mine I have slowly completed the setup.

Before it is just a bare Powermac G5 quad with no hard disk and memory, parts included were an airport extreme card and bluetooth, the standard NVidia GeForce 6600 and a power cord when I bought it. As soon as it arrives I chucked 2 x 1GB sticks and it boots, from then on I have slowly rebuilt her.

Here are the bits and pieces I added into it.

1. 16 GB of OWC RAM (8 x 2GB)
2. 64 GB SSD Boot Drive (previously it was 2 x 64 GB on RAID0)
3. 512 MB NVidia Quadro FX4500
4. 1 TB WD Caviar Black partitioned for Data Storage and internal Time Machine
5. 1 2-port PCIe eSATA card from OWC
6. 1 TB Bufallo Drive Station for Backup of Everything connected to eSATA
7. iSight on Magentic Stand
8. Wired Mighty Mouse (Magic mouse is PITA to use when doing CAD work)
9. Apple Ultra Slim Wired Keyboard (to match the wired mighty mouse)
10. Apple Cinema Display 23"

Next in line is the Harman Kardon Soundsticks or B&W MM-1.

With those pieces put together, they cost the same as a Mac Pro, but then if I have bought the MP, I have missed the fun of putting a Powermac G5 together. I don't care if the Mac Pro is faster and more modern, as long as I enjoy what I am doing and I am more than satisfied with it, that is all that matters. At the end of the day it is my satisfaction that matters not any other person's satisfaction. This is what I need and this is what I want.

So go ahead, if money is not a brick wall on your path, satisfy yourself. Buy it if it suits your needs and your wants.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Woah nice, but when and if I buy the 23" Cinema Display, I'll want something else. :( It never ends. XD

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Right it never ends but for me there is this last item, if I will have the HK Soundsticks this month then this Powermac G5, I am done with it and will move on to another project.

Both of my Powermac G4 MDD DP FW800, has iSight, Apple Cinema Displays, Apple pro keyboards, Apple Pro Mice, PCI USB Cards and Apple Pro speakers to match.

My 2009 Mac Mini has its own Apple Cinema Display, wireless keyboard, iSight and Magic Mouse.

As much as possible I keep the all genuine setup. It is a collection.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Right it never ends but for me there is this last item, if I will have the HK Soundsticks this month then this Powermac G5, I am done with it and will move on to another project.

Both of my Powermac G4 MDD DP FW800, has iSight, Apple Cinema Displays, Apple pro keyboards, Apple Pro Mice, PCI USB Cards and Apple Pro speakers to match.

My 2009 Mac Mini has its own Apple Cinema Display, wireless keyboard, iSight and Magic Mouse.

As much as possible I keep the all genuine setup. It is a collection.
Is it worth me buying the 23" ACD or whatever monitor Apple brand I can use?

It's a damn shame I can't get a 24/27" Cinema LED Display to work on the G5 :( It sucks haha.

What Mac do you use the most and why? The G5? It'd be nice to have the full Apple set-up though. :):apple:

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Is it worth me buying the 23" ACD or whatever monitor Apple brand I can use?

It's a damn shame I can't get a 24/27" Cinema LED Display to work on the G5 :( It sucks haha.

What Mac do you use the most and why? The G5? It'd be nice to have the full Apple set-up though. :):apple:

First my apologies to the OP for the off topic replies.

Anyway, to continue on.

When I am back home the Powermac G5 quad got the most attention. The 2.3 dual core that it replaced is now sitting on the attic, if anything happens on my quad I can just replace it with the dual core.

Why? Because I really like using it, browsing the internet, emails and stuff. I can't seem to remember I have seen beach balls using the power mac. Illustrator opens on a single bounce, Final cut opens on 2 bounces. Almost everything is instant.

I have a mac mini and a macbook, I use the macbook when I am travelling because of the xp VM that I use for work. If not I will be lugging my powerbook all the time. My mac mini, well it is there as a media server and just there for trying new stuff. Most of the time it is asleep.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
First my apologies to the OP for the off topic replies.

Anyway, to continue on.

When I am back home the Powermac G5 quad got the most attention. The 2.3 dual core that it replaced is now sitting on the attic, if anything happens on my quad I can just replace it with the dual core.

Why? Because I really like using it, browsing the internet, emails and stuff. I can't seem to remember I have seen beach balls using the power mac. Illustrator opens on a single bounce, Final cut opens on 2 bounces. Almost everything is instant.

I have a mac mini and a macbook, I use the macbook when I am travelling because of the xp VM that I use for work. If not I will be lugging my powerbook all the time. My mac mini, well it is there as a media server and just there for trying new stuff. Most of the time it is asleep.
No worries at all! :)

The person who I spoke to lowered the price of the 23" ACD down to £325... is this a fair deal? I'm not sure what this is in dollars.

I need that 23" ACD, then I can have a near complete set-up :p

£325 seems awfully expensive, since for anoither £502 I could buy another Thunderbolt Display but I need this for my G5 ; thoughts?

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
No worries at all! :)

The person who I spoke to lowered the price of the 23" ACD down to £325... is this a fair deal? I'm not sure what this is in dollars.

I need that 23" ACD, then I can have a near complete set-up :p

£325 seems awfully expensive, since for anoither £502 I could buy another Thunderbolt Display but I need this for my G5 ; thoughts?

It is all up to you. For that kind of money, yes it is expensive. If you can hold and wait for a better deal then wait. You don't really need it, you only want it. You still have a monitor to hook up to it, am I right?

Have you watched the movie "The Big Year"... It is about a hobby of birding, and you can get some insights into it to control yourself from buying that ACD. Lol.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
It is all up to you. For that kind of money, yes it is expensive. If you can hold and wait for a better deal then wait. You don't really need it, you only want it. You still have a monitor to hook up to it, am I right?
Yeah true, it does sound expensive. :( Apple products do hold their value, it'd be nice to have my 12th Apple product though. :D

I really want another G5 too.

This is cool, I really admire this set-up.

Attachments

• new_powermac_dual_2_7_by_macosxtiger-d3gbmif.jpg
    new_powermac_dual_2_7_by_macosxtiger-d3gbmif.jpg
    671.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.