What Size Next MacBook - 14"?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Gosh, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Gosh macrumors 6502

Just pondering what the Jobs/Ives partnership will come up next on the MacBook front?

At the present sizes it seems that the likely replacement for the current MacBook will have an aluminium case and a multi-touch trackpad but that might diminish the MBA in some peoples minds.

Just wonder if they might take the MB up to 14" to accentuate the main advantage of the MBA - being portability and anyway screen sizes are getting larger still (anyone for an 18.4" MBP)?

2. illidian macrumors 6502

I think the 13.3" screen will stick around.

The MB and MBA are two completely different markets, no reason to penalize the MacBook to make the MBA even "more" ultra-portable.

3. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I agree. It's really not even making it more ultra-portable, it'd just be giving a sort of impression of its smallness compared to Apple's other laptops. But I think they'll stay with the 13.3", and to be honest, I hope they do.

4. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

5. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

12"

would love to see a 12 incher but doubt its going to happen

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

13.3" is the bomb-diggity; 15" is huge and heavier; the 17" might-as-well come with a desk or a hand-truck; I've got a 9" Fujitsu LifeBook and it's light, compact, but the keys are too small, and it takes 7 minutes to start-up and I can cook eggs on the bottom of it, b/c it's so HOT! Please Apple keep it right where it's at for at least 10 years! IMHO :cool:

7. Gosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I guess pretty much that's that then - no 14" MB!

I was certain the MBA would be 13.3" because of that phenomenon known as screen size push!

I don't know, just the marketing position of an Alu MB with multi-touch and SuperDrive, probably LED backlit screen - maybe a 3D card - at 60-80% of the basic MBA price?

Anyhoo, I love my current MB!:)

8. tbear1 macrumors regular

I think the MB will get the LED screen from the MBA before they will give it a bigger screen. It is only a matter of time and I wonder if the change will be bundled with the refreshed look...

Glenn

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Though I have the MBA, I'm totally bewildered by the small 80GB hard drive. Sure, I had the SuperDrive, but I missed my BlackBook 2.4 Penryn 250GB and having 197GB free space on my hard drive! The SCREEN on the MBA is really nice, but my brother has made an offer I can't refuse, so it's heading to Southern California in about 2 weeks for a new life in Signal Hill, California. :cool:

10. illidian macrumors 6502

The Aluminum case is a substantial cost, compared to the high-grade plastic the MB current has. The Aluminum is more about prestige than actual results - I don't see the MB going to Aluminum for some time.

The LED backlit screen and multi-touch were added to the MBP without a price increase. The LED screen is not only better for the user, but it's also more "green," which Apple is pushing. The multi-touch must be implemented on all Apple's laptops before it becomes more of a standard and gets used more -- it will come soon, but must go (as it has) to the MBP first because of the added prestige.

Also, the graphics card will be much improved on the new MB line - that's another $200 right there to something premium. I don't expect this to change either simply because it's too big a cost.

11. HaGG macrumors member

12. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

I Agree. I think Apple will keep this screen size for quite some time.

I tried one of those eee pc's but man that 7 in screen wreaked havoc on my sorry eyes and I just wasn't happy with linux. Really missed OSX right off the bat! I find the 13.3 in the macbook screen just the right size for me. If I had 20/20 I might prefer like a 10 or 12 but man IM glad I got the macbook now. :D

13. Pacer69 macrumors member

Gads, I hope and pray they don't go to aluminum casing on the MB (though I wouldn't mind a 14" hi-res screen). First of all, it's just a friggin' antique look (in silver, anyway) as they've been using it for what, 7 LONNNG years and all the PeeCees have aped it. Having owned a PB 1400, a Pismo (my favorite 'Book to date), an iBook 900, two Al Books, and now a BlackBook 2.4...I can tell you why non-Al casing is better imho:

1) No dings: Al Books are delicate and scratch-prone. Look at them wrong and whoops! And I'm pretty careful with my stuff.

2) Wireless reception: I can see four networks right now on my MB. I could only see my own, and even then, not all bars, on my Al Book 1.5 and 1.67. Why they haven't connected the entire Al casing to the internal antenna so the whole 'Book is a super-antenna is beyond me. Seems like a no-brainer.

3) Heat: this is more of a function of processor efficiency, but my Al Books would get too hot to use as a laptop without a magazine or book beneath them.

4) Perspective: The original iBooks (fruit clamshell/"toilet seat") were either loved or hated -- and thus made for just 2 years. White 2g iBooks lasted 5 years. And the current MB form factor is < 2 years old. I'd say this MB will last at least another year, maybe even 2+. It's still fresh. Unlike the silver aluminum casing. No offense to those owners, as I said I had a couple myself. But let's face it: at 7 years old, the aluminum 'books are long overdue for a new case.

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I swear they make the macbook heavy on purpose so people will buy the air. Its only .6 pounds less than the Pro.

15. beppo macrumors member

making aluminum less high-end

I could picture apple making the high-end version of the macbook aluminum like the iPod nanos. With color. Before you start thinking that I'm an idiot just think about it if colors were added to the macbooks then they would look more young and a lot less pro. And you would semi-forget that it is actually aluminum. All while pushing the environmental stuff that apple wants to get there foot in. :p

PS: I also think they would be just slightly wedged like the macbook air but not nearly as drastic.

16. pattman247 macrumors regular

go back 9 years or so
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBook

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think that 13'' is too big IMO, for the Air....11'' would be great!

The large footprint hurts the MBA for me.

I think the MB is staying at 13.3'' for a while...smaller would eat into the Air(people who want portable would need to pick between screen vs weight) and larger would eat into MBP users.

Still a price drop would be nice...those 999 iBook were lovely!

18. MacDude415 macrumors member

MacDude415

I think its going to stay 13.3 for a while. I think there are more people interested in seeing the size of computers decrease if anything.

19. Jpoon macrumors 6502

13.3" is a pretty comfortable size for portables. 15" is for the graphics conscious, and 17" is for the people mostly stuck to a desk, but need to occasionally move their computer around from time to time.

Why switch something that already works :O?

The Eee and other internet PC's are geared towards machines specifically built for just light web browsing, and word processing. MacBook is built for people that need a computer that can meet all of their multimedia needs, save for graphics intensive apps.

The size is perfect imho, just up the resolution and add a better integrated video card. the X3100 is effing horrible. Either that, or release a firmware update that better uses it. LED!

20. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

I love when people point this out to the people who ask for colors. Thanks for the post. When will people learn that the future isn't always dictated by the past?

Colors would be neat again, but I agree that it's Apple's attitude is, "Been there, done that."

21. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I don't think we will see a form factor change for a while.

22. Jpoon macrumors 6502

/agree

23. Gosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Your all wrong!

Or maybe it's just me!

I'm gonna stick my neck out (on a pike on London Bridge) and say definitely 14" . I was right about the MBA so I have form on this!!! Differentiation!

And Alu too because what's good for the iMac is good for the iBook/MacBook.

That doesn't mean an end to colours though. Colours are popular on the iPod Nano and would be a real hit on MB.:apple:

24. johndoe588 macrumors regular

I don't think the screen size will change. I've gotten used to the 13.3, it's my first wide screen notebook, coming from a long line of thinkpads. What I would really like to see is the screen and backlit keyboard from the MBA. That shouldn't be too hard. Call it the MacBook Semi-Pro. :)

And please no aluminium case!

John B.

25. urbanskywalker macrumors 6502

I'm going against the stampede on this one. I think there will be a 14" MacBook. I also think black will go downstream on the next revision.