What size screen would you like the next iPhone to have?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thermal, Dec 15, 2010.

?

What size screen would you prefer for the next iPhone?

1. 3.5 inch: same size as now.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  2. 3.7 inch: cut away bezel, phone remains same size.

35 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. 4 inch: cut away bezel, phone very slightly larger.

58 vote(s)
    40.3%
  4. 4.3 inch: cut away bezel, phone larger.

14 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. thermal macrumors regular

I've seen this question discussed a number of times but have not seen an in-depth poll.

So what screen size would you prefer for the next iPhone?

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

3. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I can't say. I'd have to see what the phone would look like with the cut away bezel (or rather how obnoxious the button would be to use, would it be in a place it was easily accidentally hit, would it be hard to hit since it would be a smaller button. And how hard would it be to not accidentally touch the screen and activate something in a program if it had very little bezel)?

I'm torn between keep screen the current size and cut away bezel/larger screen but phone stays the same size.

I guess I'd say stay the same cause the screen is quite usable at its size and no worries about how awkward it would be to use without much bezel (and I'm not willing to sacrifice the phone's size for a bigger screen, I can say that much for sure).

4. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

The screen size can be increased without making the device bigger. There's so much screen real estate wasted with the current models of iPhones.

5. jsilas macrumors regular

Honestly, the size of the screen currently is fine by me. It'd be "neat" to have a larger screen, but then the physical size of the device has to increase too.

I honestly have no problem with the current size, especially with the 'Retina Display' increase in resolution with the 4.

Either way, I'm likely to keep upgrading each year, because I'm stupid and obsessive about my electronics. :eek:

6. wikoogle, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Anyone that doesn't want a bigger screen, while the phone overall retains the same size and shape, is an idiot.

A bigger screen makes routine tasks much more plesant, browsing the web, reading ebooks, watching videos, playing games, everything looks much nicer on a bigger screen.

If Apple cuts down on the amount of room the bezel takes, the screen could be made 4 inches without making the phone any bigger.

It would be like having to choose between two otherwise identical tvs, both with the exact same size and shape, with the only difference being that one is 13" with a really thick bezel, and the other is 17" with a slimmer bezel, and opting to go with the 13" inch version with the thick bezel. There is no rational reason why someone wouldn't atleast want a 4" screen if the phone remains roughly the same size and shape.

Unless you actually like looking at a black bezel and want the bezel to be as thick as humanly posible.

7. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

While I don't particularly like your choice of wording, I do have to agree with you.

IMO the only reason those who say "it's fine as is" is that they don't want to make it seem like their device needs any improvement and and it's perfect as is.

The reality is the in screen size iPhone is at the lower end when it comes to size. We have had 3 years of 3.5' and now it' time for a change. Even 3.7 would be a great improvement.

Apple is an anal retentive/OCD company and have managed to make their hardcore following anal/OCD as well.

8. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Or in other words, anyone who has different preferences than you is an idiot.

You do realize that some of this is subjective and there really is no "right" answer?

And read my reply again for why I'm not sure if I would want a smaller bezel or not. Because I'm not sure how well that would affect use of the phone. Form does actually have importance when it come to function. Bad form makes it annoying to use. If the bezel is so small you end up accidentally hitting the screen and telling whatever program you are using wrong inputs (like you keep accidentally telling it to open something or whatnot), that would get really really annoying. Same thing with the button.. placement of it matters as well as size (though for me, I doubt size would affect me as much as I have small hands. But I assure you too small of a button will have people complaining).

Maybe instead of calling people idiots, you should see why they are saying what they are saying. They may ultimately be wrong but that does not make them idiots (especially when it comes to speculating on a form and how usable it is that does not even exist yet. Without actually playing with that form, no one can say for sure how well it would work for them).

9. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Size of the phone is perfect however there is definately room to make the screen larger by 1/4-1/3 of and inch. The only thing I'm jealous by our counterparts is screen size.

10. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

after seeing the nexus s in person i think the 4" is the perfect size, not to big, and you get a big screen.

Doubt it though, think it will be the same boring 3,5"

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

My favourite would be to keep the same screen size and reduce the bezel to make a smaller phone.

12. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Knowing Apple's tendency to make things smaller and smaller (look at the nano - who asked for a smaller nano? -and the iPhone 4 actually went smaller), you just may get your wish.

Apple could make the iPhone the size of a postage stamp and all the faithful followers would think it's the greatest thing since sliced cheese.

My biggest disappointment (and why I've kept my 3GS) was that the iPhone 4 did not at least squeak out a 3.8" screen. They could have done this and kept the exact same shell. A complete re-design and they didn't even bump the screen size up just a bit? No excuse.

13. shakeman0, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Its kind of a big deal for developers if they change the screen size. If Apple does make a change, it has to be a size they will keep for a while. Like 3.5" to 4.3". Not 3.5" to 3.8" to 4.0" etc. From what I hear, the way that the UI in iPhone apps is measured is in inches not pixels, so a screen size change would commence a significant App Store overhaul.

14. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What you hear is wrong. As long as they keep the number of virtual pixels the same it's fine (note that in terms of UI element positioning the iPhone 4 is the same as all other iPhones: a UI element at (10,10) is in the same place as it's positioned in virtual pixel space, not device pixel space).

15. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

It would be like having to choose between two otherwise identical tvs, both with the exact same size and shape, with the only difference being that one is 13" with a really thick bezel, and the other is 17" with a slimmer bezel, and opting to go with the 13" inch version with the thick bezel. There is no rational reason why someone wouldn't atleast want a 3.8" screen if the phone retains the same size and shape.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Exactly. However, I’d have no problem if they increased the overall size by a few tenths of an inch.

17. tigress666 macrumors 68040

You don't have to hold a tv or hit the screen to interact with it. You just watch it and you use a remote to tell it what to do. So you don't need to worry about accidental touching the screen causing it to do something you do not want.

So not quite the same analogy.

18. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I am all about the 4".

It just enough to not enlarge the iPhone dramatically and with the big screen, it gives us more room for our fingers & more interaction.

I believe the reason Apple has not increase the size of the iPhones screen yet is because the iOS they use for the phone works perfect under the 3.5" screen.

So before Apple makes a big step in having all the app developers change the size of their apps, Apple will do a revolutionary change to the iOS to go along with the size of the 4" screen.

Example would be a larger app icons. But why would they enlarge the app icon? Because then they can provide live information on the app icon.

Just like the Windows Phone 7 but not as big.

From looking at the iOS, there is a lot of wasted space around the apps that can be utilized.

Enlarging the app icon & having 3 rows and 3 columns of apps per page would be great. Folders can still be done but you can click on the app within the folder without opening it.

19. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

That sounds neat (and I would love to seem them do something like that), but it's completely unneccesary.

If they retain the same 960x640 resolution in the 4" screen, Apple wouldn't need to change a thing, the apps and iOS would still look outstanding.

Andriod runs 4.5" screens on much lower resolution 800x480 screen and the resolution is just fine.

Hell, the iPad has a freaking 9" screen with a resolution not all that much higher than the iPhone's and it looks fine.

960x640 would look absolutely incredible on a 4" screen.

20. thermal thread starter macrumors regular

So far, 73% of respondents want a larger screen, with 4 inches being the first choice... even if it means a slightly larger phone.

21. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

If the 'iPhone 5' does not have a larger screen, they might as well not bother.

If they just come out with an antenna fix, faster processor and some other 'feature requests' it doesn't warrant a '5'. A 4s, perhaps, but not a 5.

22. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

3.5 inch, make the phone shorter and smaller.

23. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Have any of you actually used a phone with a 4" screen?
    It's inconvenient as a phone, always have to use two hands or shift your grip to select something at the top of the screen. I have big hands and as it is I sometimes stretch to select the top of my iPhone screen.
    If I wanted to use two hands with a PHONE I'd buy a samsung tablet.

Seriously though if you're so concerned about screen size just get an iPad.

24. JASApplications macrumors 65816

For me the iPhone is perfect as it is. If you want a bigger screen, get an iPad.

25. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I'd take 3.7 inch screen. My last phone was a Nexus One which had one.

I know it wouldn't be a massive change but at least the resolution could be kept the same and wouldn't need to make the phone massively bigger.