Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
London
Hiya,

I have two queries regarding icons:

1) What size do you guys 'n gals create your main application icons before adding them to Resources in your project?

I've been creating mine in .PNG format at 156x156 so that I can see it clearly. When I add it to Resources and build & go my project onto my iPhone, the icon seems to be resized correctly but I just wanted to determine if there is a 'correct' way of doing this. I've seen some places where icons are created at 60x60.

If there's a consensus on here regarding the sizes you use, I'll go with that.

2) Even though the icon is resized correctly, it appears to have a metallic frame applied around it when on the iPhone! This looks very similar to the Settings icon. I don't have this on my original .PNG file. I know the iPhone can apply that reflection to icons, but haven't heard anything about a metallic frame. Can I turn this off?

Thanks,

RTP

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Hiya,

I have two queries regarding icons:

1) What size do you guys 'n gals create your main application icons before adding them to Resources in your project?

I've been creating mine in .PNG format at 156x156 so that I can see it clearly. When I add it to Resources and build & go my project onto my iPhone, the icon seems to be resized correctly but I just wanted to determine if there is a 'correct' way of doing this. I've seen some places where icons are created at 60x60.

If there's a consensus on here regarding the sizes you use, I'll go with that.

2) Even though the icon is resized correctly, it appears to have a metallic frame applied around it when on the iPhone! This looks very similar to the Settings icon. I don't have this on my original .PNG file. I know the iPhone can apply that reflection to icons, but haven't heard anything about a metallic frame. Can I turn this off?

Thanks,

RTP

They must be 57x57 or you won't be able to upload it to Apple.

chbeer

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
Berlin
You should read the documentation!!! You need the icon also in 512x512 for iTunes! So you should create it in 512x512 and scale it down since they must be "the same".

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
London
You should read the documentation!!! You need the icon also in 512x512 for iTunes! So you should create it in 512x512 and scale it down since they must be "the same".

Thanks, both, for the feedback.

I'll have a look through the docs. I just wanted to see how everyone else was doing this as, as I've said, I've seen a couple of tutorials on the web where the icons were created at different sizes.

Anyone else see the metallic frame? I'm wondering if this is due to the size of image I'm using. If it's still there after trying with a 512x512 image I'll post back here.

Thanks again :)

RTP.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
I create my icons in Illustrator. Save as a 512x512 JPG for the App Store and resize to a 57x57 PNG for the app icon.

Haven't seen the metallic border though. It will round the corners and apply the gloss over it for you unless you tell it not to in the plist file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.