What size should my avatar be, so it's not compressed and poopy-lookin'?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by jnc, Dec 17, 2007.

1. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I saw 75x75 was the max size, so maybe I missed something, but I can't get it looking right at any size yet:

Here's how it looks, compared to how it should look:

Attached Files:

2. jnc thread starter macrumors 68020

jnc

Seems like it's fixed itself. I moved to jpeg and matched the bg colour to the boards on MR. So maybe it just can't handle PNG with transparency.

Disregard if you want, but some clarification might be nice for everyone else!

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Yep, it's the conversion of PNGs to GIFs the server does that's causing those rough edges.

See this post by Knox for an explanation as to why they set it up to do that.

As for having transparencies in avatars, you can save the image as a GIF, and in the saving process add a matte that matches the color of the background. Problem with that is you can't have opacities between 0% and 100% - i.e. it's all or nothing.
    Or you can just add a background to the image and save it as a JPEG, it looks similar, except with different monitors and computers, you can sometimes tell that it isn't a true transparent image.

irmongoose

4. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

It can't, I found this out through trial and error as well :p

5. jnc thread starter macrumors 68020

jnc

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Looks fine to me..

I believe at times of high site traffic, the first thing to be throttled back is the avatars? Maybe that explains what you're seeing?

7. jnc thread starter macrumors 68020

jnc

Never mind, I forgot I am using my phone's data connection the moment. That's probably what's causing the issue. :p

8. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

For reference, avatars are permanently in the high-traffic mode - these days we get what would have been keynote-only traffic levels not too long ago every day :)