What size SSD should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Frankydan100, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Ok so im thinking of replacing the superdrive on my 15' macbook pro 2010 with an SSD. However I dont hae too much to spend so I just want to know what the smallest size would be i could get.
    Im only going to use it to run the os and my applications and thats it.

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

I have a 60 gb owc unit for my apps and os. After deleting my hibernation file I am using only 20 gb so far. So 40 to 60 shoul d be fine. BTW aside from the s
    tandard apps I have office 2011, ccc, Mac the ripper, VLC, Hand Brake and a bunch of others.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you don't have any music, videos, vmware, or other large files, then you probably could get by with a 60. I find that my 120gb is a little tight at times, though I'm running windows 7 in a vmware session.

4. Frankydan100 thread starter macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Great thanks, i have a similar setup with just the native apps and then about 20 others such as office, reeder, plex, rapidweaver.

I will be using my internal 1tb hd to store all my music, media etc..

How would be the best way to transfer the os and apps to the ssd so it boots from that but leaves all my media etc on the 1tb hd?

5. Frankydan100 thread starter macrumors regular

Frankydan100

6. marc11 macrumors 68000

If you are keeping your stock drive, then just install the SSD in the super drive bay and start your computer. Use the disc utility to format the SSD and then download Carbon Copy Cloner, use that to copy your OS and apps (everything except your home folder) to the SSD, this will make it bootable.

Then reboot, hold the option key when booting and select the SSD as your boot drive. Once you are back in, go to preferences and set the SSD as your boot drive, then the machine will always boot from the SSD.

After that, clean up your hard drive to remove the os and apps if you like and just leave the home folder there. OS X knows to put data on your home folder on your hard drive and install apps and OS updates to the SSD.

Also, think about enabling TRIM support, look at the Mac Pro section, there is a thread on it, I did and it works great so it seems.

Also, if you use CCC, drop them a donation, the program works great, and it is nice to support these open source programmers who make quality apps like that for us. IMHO anyway.

7. marc11 macrumors 68000

Both are good, the Crucial may be a bit faster, for 20 quid I'd grab the Crucial I suppose. Also check the prices on the Intel 320, they are supposed to be really good and pretty well priced.

8. Tonepoet, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

Tonepoet macrumors regular

Hmm, I dunno. If you use programs like iPhoto a lot, which tend to read the entire contents of your itunes library at once an external USB drive could be penalizing you when compared to an internal if not only due to the slower connection, possibly negating any advantage of a SSD. You could buy a Firewire 800 drive to negate the penalty based on the traditional 2.5 drive specs I saw on the first couple pages of Google but Firewire drives will be a little more costly just to maintain the status quo, where you might be able to better balance the load by buying a slightly larger SSD than what you think is necessary to keep your most frequently accessed multimedia in to see adequately increased performance. I'm not sure but I think the iPhoto library has to be kept on the primary drive anyway, in your user's folder.

That doesn't mean I'm necessarily against the idea of a 64 gig SSD but I have no idea what drive might best achieve your needs because you've only given me the performance enhancing tactic you intend to use, not your long term storage use strategy. Applications come in a wide array of sizes, ranging anywhere from as little as 7 megabytes in the form of Dictionary up to a sizes of 8 Gigs like Valve's upcoming Portal 2, just to show you the extremes.

Assuming you do mostly casual stuff, such as myself and don't use very, I'd count on your most frequently used applications weighing in at about 500 megabytes average. Say you use twenty of these regularly, that's approximately 6 gigs of space. The O.S. itself only needs 10, which I hear can be trimmed down to 8, albeit iLife takes an extra gig of space on top of that. That leaves you with about 15 gigs of necessary space. You'll want to double these figures for purposes of future expansion... so a 32 gigs drive might be doable (A 32 gig drive is more standardized than 30).

With my suggestion above though, to get a slightly larger drive for storing the iPhoto library you'll probably want the next or two up from that which is about 40-50. There might be additional overhead I'm not considering though, so yeah... I'd say about 60-64 would be a realistic minimum, assuming you don't need to use Bootcamp for any reason. Windows must be installed on the internal SATA connection link. Personally I think 128gb drives tend to have the best pricepoint overall though.

Since you're on a budget, are you sure a 500g external HDD won't do? My last computer had 320 internal and I was just scarcely about to fill it after two years of use for absolutely everything, if you count a 40G partition going to windows. My last computer before that was an emac that only had 40g of space and I never filled it before the upgrade before that and likewise for my Performa.

9. marc11 macrumors 68000

The OP stated he was replacing his super drive with the SSD and leaving his HDD in the computer, so he would not be using an external. I use iphoto, imovie and Hand Brake a lot with this set up, works great. Of course having a 7200 RPM HDD for data helps too.

10. Frankydan100 thread starter macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Yes thats correct il be replacing the superdrive with the SSD, it will just be used for the os and applications thats all. All of my media including photos music movies etc will be stored on the internal 1tb hd.

Ive had a look at the intel ones but they are a little too pricey so think il prob go for the crucial.

Thanks for the help and info guys.