What size SSD

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Neiloid, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Neiloid macrumors member

So three weeks ago I bought a 2011 2.3 and I'm still getting to grips with the new OS after being raised on Windows. Upgraded the RAM to 8gb of Crucial and yesterday bought a 2011 2.5 as the deal was too good to pass up (9 months old, maic mouse and wireless Apple keyboard for £400) and gives me a degree of future proofing.
    I'd like to put an SSD in there - not for the boot times as I leave it powered up 24/7 but for faster app loading. They are so much cheaper now but wonder what size I would need for all apps and programmes - I'd use the HDD for music & photos archiving.
    OCZ Agility or Vertex 120gb is my current thinking but would be happy to hear your thoughts.
    Ps
    I plan to trsf the 8gb ram into the 2.5 and sell the 2.3 with the 4gb from the 2.5
    Thanks in advance.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A default install of OS X with iLife apps and iWork takes about 20GB... so that leaves you around 100GB for misc. data.

3. Neiloid thread starter macrumors member

Excellent, thanks once again Weasel boy for your prompt reply. It's just a shame that the cable to mount the SSD is half the price of the SSD!!

4. mystic man macrumors member

Generally speaking the one you can afford. If you want to be more technical about it, ssd s flash memory performs best at 256Gb and 512Gb. There is a sale on Crucial s site for the m4 line till tomorrow