What size sticks are installed as standard?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Fr3d, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Fr3d macrumors newbie

Hi There,

I am considering purchasing a mac pro, probably at the begining of next year when the newer models have (hopefully) been released.

My plan is to get the standard model with Dual 2.8GHz Quad-cores (though this could all change with the new systems) and the lowest memory option - 2GB DDR2.

I plan to upgrade the RAM myself using memory from another supplier such as crucial. I have done this in the past with my macbook (taking it from 1Gb to 2Gb). When I did this I found that apple had installed 2x512Mb sticks from the factory which meant I had to buy 2x1Gb sticks rather than just adding a single 1Gb stick.

My question is, is there any way of telling what I will recieve from apple if I order 2Gb or is it the luck of the draw? i.e. will I get 1x2Gb or 2x1Gb etc etc...

The reason I ask is that I would prefer to use the single 4Gb sticks when I come to upgrade maximise the amount of RAM I can install.

Sorry I have managed to make this so long-winded!
    Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Fred

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You will never get one lone stick. You cannot get one lone stick. The standard model comes with 1GBx2. A refurb standard of the last model will come with 512MBx2.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Due to the nature of FB-DIMMs and Apple's implementation in the Mac Pro, one stick will not work at all. The standard model comes with 2x1GB according to the Apple Store when you go to confighure a Mac Pro. It's right on their website.

4. Fr3d thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay,

So no matter what the capacity the modules must always be installed in pairs?
    Is there anything wrong with say having the two standard 1Gb modules running alongside 2x4Gb modules for example?

Thanks again.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes. :)

No. It will work. :eek: :)

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

7. m1stake macrumors 68000

I think he means that "No, [there is nothing wrong with doing that], it will work."

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Bingo! :p