What size Time Capsule do I need?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacFanUK, Aug 5, 2009.

1. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I have just spotted Time Capsule 500GB's and 1TB's on the Apple refurb store and wondered if it's big enough or even if I need it?

Basically, I will be using it with a Mac Mini to start with but then when the iMacs are cheaper, I'll be using it with that too.

When I get my Mac Mini next week, I will be upgrading the hard drive to 320GB(or maybe 500GB) then I will be getting an enclosure for the 2 x 500GB hard drives out of my old PC.

How exactly does the time capsule work? If I have say 500GB of data in total, will it make several copies of the full 500GB or does it just back up the files that have changed?

So, again, if I have got 500GB of data, would I be ok with a 500GB TC or would I need something bigger?
    (my one drive from my PC currently is full but it has several copies of stuff and really needs sorting so it may get reduced to half, but who knows lol).

Would I be better using a USB drive for Time Machine instead?

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

You should work on twice your data amount. But, if you want to use it for say three years, think what your data will be then.

I bought a 500GB 18 months ago and now wish it was bigger...

3. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Thanks. Yeah that's what I was thinking. On a side note, how are you finding the Mac Mini?

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

The Mac Mini is awesome as soon as you put a fast drive into it.;)

5. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

^Yes indeed. Just buy the base model then ramp up the RAM and fit a 7200RPM drive bigger than you think you need.

6. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Everytime I see your avatar, it makes me want a Drobo lol

7. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

To answer your other questions, the Time Capsule is best for multiple computers, but if you were only backing up your mini a USB external drive would be just as good

-though it would use up one of your usb ports
    -your old pc drives may not be as reliable as a shiny new TC :D

Your other question, Time Machine analyses changes and only backs up that. Your first backup will take all day (and night) but the hourly backups after that should be minutes and soon you'll forget it is there.

Note, you can not upgrade your Time Machine storage without starting again. So if you change to 1TB drives next year all of your backups will be lost and you will start again, you can not clone the drive or anything.

8. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Well like others have said it depends if its just one computer. If its just for one, I suggest the 1TB model. Its a great little device it just takes a good bit to back up sometimes. Apple is fixing that though, I think its potential will be really amazing once Snow Leopard is released. :)

9. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

I bought a airport extreme a week ago and apple just exchanged it for a 1T time capsule I am waiting for fedex now:)

10. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I would go with an Airport Extreme and an external drive. For $179 + about $100 for a 1TB USB drive, you have two separate devices, which pretty much defeats the purpose of a Time Capsule, I know, but I feel much safer with this combination. That way, if my Airport Extreme dies out on me at the same time as my computer's hard drive, I don't lose all my data. Alternatively, if my backup drive dies, I don't go without a router. With the two separate devices, you get the option of using the USB drive as a USB drive or as a faux Time Capsule in conjunction with the Airport Extreme.

I think the Extreme is greatly underrated. It seems to just "be there" to bridge the gap between the Express and the Time Capsule. In reality, I think it is the best choice. A hard drive is probably the most prone to failure, and if the drive in a Time Capsule dies, as I stated earlier, you have NO NETWORK until it is fixed. I don't know about your needs, but someone in my household works from home, and without a network, no work can be done at all. For that reason, we have two Extremes and one Express. I had the Express die twice, and 85% of the devices in our house were still usable on the network. We only lost connectivity for one iMac. Another plus for the Extreme is that since the drive is separate, you can set up custom partitions as well as run data recovery programs on it if need be.

11. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

What are the odds of both your TC and computer drive failing at the same time? Surely the same as your external attached to an Extreme and computer drives...

Also, are you sure you would loose your network if the drive fails in a TC?

12. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't mean the network would go down. I meant that if you should send it in for replacement or repair, you go without backups and network. I agree with your first statement, but I don't think you can do a system restore from Time Capsule either through Migration Assistant. You would probably have to manually mount the disk image and manually grab the files you need.