What size Time Machine Drive should i get...?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by anim8or, Oct 25, 2007.

1. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I am purchasing a new external HD for using Time Machine when i get Leopard.

My query lies with what size drive i should get.

Obviously many will say get the most space for the least cash but i want to know what people recommend without money being a factor.

I have a MacPro with 750GB internal storage of which 120GB is currently used. What would the masses recommend for Time Machine.... i was considering a 500GB drive for the time being.....

2. zen macrumors 68000

zen

The bigger the drive, the further back in time you can go.

If you are pressed for space, like I am, you can select folders that Time Machine won't back up. Unless you want a complete clone I don't see much point in backing up the Apps or System folders, for instance.

3. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

As a corollary question, does Time Machine REQUIRE a separate backup drive, or is it capable of using the remaining free space on a single drive to back the documents up?

(Obviously you'd lose the benefit of having a backup if your primary drive fails, but you'd still have the main benefit of having backed up documents for every error besides disk failure.)

4. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

I'd say get a 500GB for now. In future, if you think you need to have a larger backup, you can get a new one and either sell or use the 500GB for something else. Get a reliable one, obviously.

I'm wondering why Apple don't let you use an internal drive for your backups? I'd rather have the drive inside the machine so I haven't got to use another power point to plug in an external drive and have to remember to switch it on. Aside from that, internal drives are cheaper anyway. I hope there'll be a hack or update that allows you to use internal drives for Time Machine.

5. Cerebrum macrumors regular

Cerebrum

I'd assume anything bigger than the size of your own drive should be adequate.