What size to get for taking notes 16, 32 or 64

Discussion in 'iPad' started by IconicM, May 9, 2011.

1. IconicM macrumors regular

Guys,

I will be using the ipad at work for taking notes (notes HD), probably 5 times per week and composing a few documents in pages per week as well. Plus will also be letting my daughter load movies for trips.

What size do you think I should get. I'm thinking 32, but maybe I should go for the 64?? I guess I would intend on keeping the device for 3 years or so.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2. jmthigpen, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011

jmthigpen macrumors regular

just notes - 16GB

notes and movies...well that depends..if you want to load one or two movies on it for a car trip then 16GB is still fine.

If I were you I would get the 16GB since with the release of iOS5 most of our media will be stored in "the cloud"..at least that is the speculation.

For me, I have an iPod classic with all of my music/photos/videos - all of my media..just so I have everything with me, and an iPad 16GB wifi for use at the house after work.

Even If I had an iPad 64GB it would not be enough space for all of my media and I think it would be a waste since in the future most storage will be again on "the cloud"

not to mention home sharing - so if you are at home you can stream all of your media from your mac/pc to your iPad

3. GP_1 macrumors regular

4. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Generally note-taking takes up very little space. It's video and games that are the space hogs.

5. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

32 gig. Yes I use the 'cloud', but if you are loading movies for trips, you can't be too dependent on the 'cloud'.

6. mypants macrumors newbie

Movies might take up 2GB of space ea. (someone else correct me if I got that wrong), you might be able to get by with 1GB depending on how they are compressed. I rip my DVDs with Handbrake.

Notes will take up almost nothing.
    I just scanned two 1000 page medical textbooks to PDF so I could lug them around on the iPad rather than my backpack. Size was just under 2GB for 2000 pages of full color PDFs with lots of images.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

If in doubt go for the higher capacity. You can always not use space but you can't add any if you need it.

8. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Correct :). Anywhere from 1.5 - 5GB depending on HD encoding settings.

9. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

You can probably get by with 16 GB but I always recommend purchasing the largest size that you can afford. I don't know that I need the 64 GB that I bought but I am glad that I went that way because I have the space if I end up needing it.

10. ani23 macrumors 6502

I just find $ 100 for an extra 16GB or $200 for an extra 48 is a tad too much

But if you need it you currently dont have any other option.

11. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Yea the 16gb version will be just fine for notes.

12. IconicM thread starter macrumors regular

I think you're right. 32 really seems like the "comfortable" minimum. I'll think about the 64 for $100 more.

13. IconicM thread starter macrumors regular

I agree, the profit margin is better for apple on the 32, and much better on the 64. I wish the upgrade was a more reasonable $50 each increment.

But, I did check out the competition, albeit briefly, and for me this is still the best tablet. As they say, it is what it is.

14. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

I don't keep movies or music on my iPad and I definitely needed 32GB. I've already blown through 16GB of storage and have about 15GB left.

Mostly, it's my apps that take up the space. I have lots of them. I also have PDF books (a lot).

15. IconicM thread starter macrumors regular

16. mrholder macrumors regular

This may require another thread, but what method did you use to scan your med books with? I have books that I would like to scan into my ipad, but seems like it would take an enormous amount of time.

17. elan123 macrumors 6502

32gb for notes? LOL

18. Kupp macrumors regular

32 GB is a sweet spot, you will find other things you want to do with it as well.

19. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

16gb is fine if you dont mind going through and removing some things that you dont use to add new ones. If you dont want to deal with removing apps and stuff to add space for new ones go with the 32gb.

20. foiden macrumors 6502a

16GB will keep notes until the cows come home. It's the movies, bigger iPad apps, loads of photos, or an insane music collection, that will take up the space. Documents are truly small stuff, especially if they are notes since you aren't doing some elaborate desktop publishing thing using er.....a ton of photos.

32GB is the initial sweet spot if you intend on loading a lot of quality Apps on the thing. With 16GB, you'll find that you may have to swap some stuff in and out at times. (But mainly if you play games on the thing, since there's a good number of big ones that take up the most space)