what size tv should i get?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by phas3, Oct 13, 2008.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

okay so I'm trying to save up some mula for my TV i would like to get an LCD HDTV, but I don't know what size and what brand/model. I'd like to here some of your guys' reccomendations. My living room isn't very big i don't know the dimensions but the way i have my sofas set up its from the wall to the farthest sofa is below ten feet. Not trying to spend more than 1500 dollars and also i have in mind a new apple tv

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i like the 46" size of tv's (from sony). purely your preference though

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
  4. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Amazon has this handy little guide for what size tv you should get depending on your viewing distance, but it's a tad suspect imho because it's saying you could get a hypothetical maximum of 80" for a distance of 10 feet. :eek:

I think you should measure your room first to get the viewing distance and then go to an electronics store and stand that far away from the tvs there so you get an idea of how big it will be. Then make your decision (although by the sounds of your room being under 10 feet and all, a 40" would likely be ideal).

6. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

what do you mean? is there something you know that i dont know..probably alot but spill the beans!

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I've put on some weight recently, so I've moved up to an extra extra large.

8. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

wtf...you guys are confusing the hell out of me

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'm about 10ft from the entertainment center and I'm getting a 32 next week.

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Well we have a 46" Bravia about 10 feet from our couch. And it is comfortable for viewing from that distance. But for $1500 I'm not sure what that would get you (presumably the US of A). In Australia, a 42" would set you back 3k for a Sony, or 1.5-2k for cheaper, non-fullHD models.

11. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

I love Sharp Aquos, I m hoping to get the 32" for my room, HDTV/monitor but for a regular room, I think 37" would be more than enough for me

12. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

im in the US and here you an get a Samsung 1080p 46" LCD HDTV for 1499

13. Azmordean macrumors 6502

I'd say 42" would be pretty good in that size room. If you want it more cinematic, go bigger - but I wouldn't go smaller. There's no real reason to go smaller, as 42" is a pretty standard size and your room is plenty big to handle it. If you've been using an old tube TV or something it'll seem large at first, but it'll become perfect pretty quick ;)

The thing another poster mentioned at Amazon is the THX specifications - and its correct if you are looking for a movie-theater type experience, but for everyday viewing I think it recommends TVs that are far too big.

14. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

42" to 50" if you are around 10-15 feet away. You might be even able to go up to 60" if you plan to watch HD all the time.

We got a Sony 50", and although I don't watch much TV, when I do, I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove it! :D

15. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo