Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Yes, security is the main reason and since they're able to say it's for the good of the consumers privacy they're able to get away with it. As has been said, adding new code/features is going to make the OS heavier, full stop.

It's probably not a popular opinion but I would rather they develop code to make the newer devices as good as they can be. I tend to upgrade every year so "planned obsolescence" means nothing to me.
Well, I don't think we can reach any agreement at all if you say that. I understand where you're coming from, though.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
My iPhone 6 Plus is painfully slow on iOS 12. Even after fresh install, go figure.
The 6 Plus was already stuttering at launch. iOS 12 actually gave it some breathing room compared to iOS 11. I know because my friend has one. Whatever iOS version it has, one cannot escape the 1GB RAM and the weak GPU.

Reactions: w_aldo

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
Planned obsolecense from Apple’s part. They slowly make the OS heavier and heavier to criple performance and make you buy a new phone. Even with their fingers caught in the cookie jar on the battery issue they only made temporary band aids. Take IOS12 fx. Lightening fast at release because they needed the publicity from “making amends” and giving your device it’s performance back. But now at 12.1.2 it has already slowed down the iPhone 8 to IOS 11.4 speed again. So it was a very temporary “fix”.
The only question is: Is the slowdown built in from scratch in the OS based on timers/ages of the phone, or do they slow the OS down with each small release. I think it’s the former as they would otherwise be caught right away with performance comparisons. Also, the former will make every phone “age” the same so you cannot avoid it by not installing updates.

I’m still on 12.0 on iPhone 6s Plus. Will I regret if I update to 12.1.2?

Der Keyser

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2016
Hard to say. My wife’s 6s does not seem to suffer getting slower within 12.x so far. Her’s is on 12.1.2 and seems as “snappy” as it did on 12 (Which is quite quick actually). But the iPhone 8/X has definately suffered a slight slowdown in app launch speed going from 12 to 12.1.2

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
The 6s phones will see all the benefits of iOS 12 due to having double the RAM of the 6 series. You're definitely better off on the latest release since you're already in the 12.x realm.

nbnbxdnb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
What I found out later was that, iOS fluency relies heavily on memory stacking. Specially with a device like ip6 running modern day OS, it can not handle the situation where too little space is left on memory. After I emptied everything just before giving it away, it was actually not bad at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.