Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
GS4, rooted and rom'ed! Fairly happy with it although few annoying things such as speakers on back instead of front.

For those who like to flip/trade phones, how exactly does that work? Do you have to pay an activation fee every time you get the new phone?

Not that I'm aware of. When I made this last trade we met at a sprint store and did the swap. Just a bunch of rebooting and code configuring and that was it. I believe an activation fee is just for a brand new line but somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
GS4, rooted and rom'ed! Fairly happy with it although few annoying things such as speakers on back instead of front.

For those who like to flip/trade phones, how exactly does that work? Do you have to pay an activation fee every time you get the new phone?

Not that I'm aware of. When I made this last trade we met at a sprint store and did the swap. Just a bunch of rebooting and code configuring and that was it. I believe an activation fee is just for a brand new line but somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

AT&T charges an activation fee with new lines and every time you sign a new two year contract. I've been with them for so long that they're usually willing to waive it (and if I get a "no" I just call back and get a different rep ;)).

I can't speak for any other carrier, but I can't imagine you'd have an activation fee just for changing phones - so long as your plan stays the same.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So far this year i have had not in order.....
Galaxy S3....IP5....Moto X......LG G2.....Note 3......Droid Ultra... HTC One.....Galaxy S4.
Keep comimg back to the S4! :)

Last edited:

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
In August i got a Galaxy S3 as it was on sale, nice upgrade from an iPhone 4.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Thought I would make a monthly thread asking what phones people are using seeing as how so many people switch often.

I'll start out the thread. Still rocking the Nexus 4 as my main phone. Will probably get around to ordering the Nexus 5 one of these days as it looks like a fantastic upgrade. Although my only complaint with the Nexus 4 is the inconsistent battery life. Rarely can I get more than 3 hours of on screen time. Usually it's about 2 1/2 and that's without video or gaming. I'll likely upgrade to the Nexus 5 just for that but everything else on the N4 is just fine. Performance is still blazing fast.

But anyway, yeah still the Nexus 4 for me.

Sorry to bring the thread off-topic, but have you ever considered the G2 and just rooting it and putting CM10.2 on it? Just like you, I was planning on getting a Nexus 5, but since it wasn't released for Verizon I got the G2 instead. Also, seeing as how similar the Nexus 5 and the G2 are, it should be receiving KitKat ROM's within a week or two. Anyways, after putting CM10.2 on my G2, it's perfect. Everything that's great about the Nexus (stock Android) + the amazing battery life of the G2. Check out the screenshots below. I easily was able to get 6 hours, 10 minutes of screen-on time with 1 hour of using navigation and 19.5 hours off the charger. Had I not used GPS I could have easily gotten 7+ hours of screen-on time.

Again, sorry for bringing the thread off-topic.

LQvzUPhl.png

2Nrn5Wyl.png

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
My first smartphone was a 4S in 2011.

Last month I got the 5S.

Next upgrade? If the iPhone 6/6S isn't spectacular, I might start looking for an Android phone. I'm loving the Android experience on my Nexus 7 2. The OS just feels more like a computer.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided

If you're simply swapping your SIM card into another device, there's no fee or setup involved (unless you need to add APNs).

miltonbull

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
Sweden
Using a s4 since summer. Great phone and also my first Android experience. Sometimes I wish u tried the htc one but now the nexus 5 looks appealing.

The Mrs.

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2013
Suburgatory
The gold 5S is super slick. I opted for space gray with black Apple leather case. Super stealthy combo.

On a side note, the thing I was really concerned about was the lack of Google Play Music All Access app for iOS.

Well there is an app for that...Gmusic 2 for iOS 7. The kicker; this third party app looks and performs better than Google's Play Music app for android.

Really? I may have to check it out.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S3 for almost a year and a half now. I'm really tempted by the Nexus 5, but the SGS3 has given me no reason to upgrade. Still loving it after all this time. Maybe next year, I'll upgrade.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
LG G2 & Samsung Galaxy Note 3

I should have my 64GB iPhone 5S Gold this Wednesday.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
HTC One

AT&T branded, unrooted, & unlocked

Had it for over over 5 months. I had anticipated for this phone as far back as Feb-March of this year but didnt get it until May 24th.

Still love it but it has its quirks.

- Battery life is about the typical Android smartphone average of 5-6 screen time use.

- Can play Plants Vs Zombies 2 for only 3 hrs and it can heat up to 112 degrees after 20 min of playing.

- Camera pix is very poor even in low light with ISO at 200. UltraPixel is all hype. Just turns on the contrast to bring in more artificial lighting.

- Zoe Gallery can lag sometimes esp if you rotate it to landscape and a few minor bugs and choppiness with the video highlights if it isnt HD quality resolution.

- Voice quality and speakerphone can be choppy at times.

- Carrier branded Androids don't update as fast.

- While the screen is excellent, I find 1080p screens as a bit overkill as videos in that resolution are negligible to 720p vids viewed in a small screen and it takes up more memory and battery life.

But it is still great at other things like watching movies, texting using SwiftKey, BlinkFeed, browsing, video/sound recording, fast downloading, and excellent music phone. And it is arguably the best-looking smartphone ever made. Phone design perfection like this comes once every 3 years. As much as I like the design of the Huawei Ascend P6, it tried to copy the iPhone 4 in design and the curved buttom sides can peel off. And the Lenovo K900 has the logo peeling off in the back.

Was thinking of getting the Nexus 5 but the design is so plain Jane and the Snapdragon 800 is not a huge step forward from the 600. It is a 7.5/10 in looks at best like the LG G2. I hate how the camera protrudes like the Nexus One had and it isnt much of a headturner front and back. The name Nexus should be horizontal like the N4 had. The build quality screams midranger like the Xperia ZR. I think the Nexus 4 looks sleeker even with a crack & fingerprint prone back.

The iPhone 2G, iPhone 4/4s, and HTC One are true 10/10 in pure design. My old Nexus One is about a 9.5-10 because of comfort. Nexus 4 and iPhone 5/5s are about a 9/10. Xperia Z's are abt 8-8.5 with the Z1 looking the best even if a bit too big and wide for a 5-incher screen. The Galaxy S and Notes are abt a 7-8. Those Lumia 800's/N9's looked abt a 9/10 to me at first back in 2011 until Nokia played out that polycarbonate look.

My next phone is picking up a cheap non-LTE Nexus 4 on Craigslist for under $150 even with that fragile glass back. Forget the Xperia ZR or Nexus 5 for $350-$400 or the Huawei Ascend Mate or P6 for free with a $25 per month contract for 24 months. Nexus 4 seems the most cost efficient way while still letting me experience KitKat and having a slick-looking backup phone with a good enough SoC. I currently cant update my HTC One to 4.3 because I'm in another country so I'll be stuck at 4 hr charging time on 4.1.2 even longer. Damn carrier-branded Androids! We are at the mercy of the carriers if we dont plan to root. Gotta go Nexus if I want my official updates.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Still my GS4 and One combo.

Going to sell both in Jan. and pick up a GN3.

other than that, I don't see anything worth buying. The N5 is nice, but reports of poor camera and bad battery life are making me skip it.

Since LG resale is worthless, maybe I should pick up a used G2 soon. They're already under $400 now.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Currently rocking the HTC One on Big Red. Seriously considering a move to T-Mobile when my contract ends in February to save some $'s. Looking at the Nexus 5, the One follow-up, the S5, or waiting for the iPhone 6 for what's next.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Switched from a Galaxy S4 to an iPhone 5S. I still have the S4 and might use it in the future (or sell it and get a Nexus 5) but that depends on if a jailbreak comes out in the next few months or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
iPhone 5S and Galaxy S4 currently, though I have my GS4 on eBay and a Nexus 5 ordered.

Figure those will be my phones for the foreseeable future. I had been switching Android phones every few months this year, began with a Nexus 4 in Feb, went to the HTC One in May and then the GS4 in Sept.

Pure vanilla Android is the way to go for me. I considered dropping Android all together and getting a 5C to replace my GS4, but the Nexus 5 has me intrigued and I still would like to experience both OSes.

Last edited by a moderator:

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Still have my rooted rom'd i777. Was going to get the S4, but decided to use my upgrade for the S5 since rumors are they may release it early then expected. However I don't know, rumors also point to a 5.5" screen, my i777 4.3" I love overall for a phone, and 5" would be my limit for a phone, don't want a Phablet.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
iPhone 5S. Was gonna get a Nexus 5 in addition but opted for an iPad Air instead. Maybe next year.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Still my GS4 and One combo.

Going to sell both in Jan. and pick up a GN3.

other than that, I don't see anything worth buying. The N5 is nice, but reports of poor camera and bad battery life are making me skip it.

Since LG resale is worthless, maybe I should pick up a used G2 soon. They're already under $400 now.

I don't see anything worth buying either.

LG G2 is plastic and in tired of my SGS3 cheap plastic feeling. One year and a half later it looks like s***, and I've taking very very good care of it. Also don't like buttons in the back.

Note 3 is too big, still Samsung, not great materials, etc.

HTC One is great overall but has a terrible camera.

Nexus 5 has low battery for today's standards and I can only get it unlocked for 400$, and I don't want to pay that much. Only 150-200$ with a free upgrade I've got.

IPhone has iOS 7, so... forget about it.

Moto X is not available where I live.

What other choices I've got? None.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.