What So Good Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by facio123, Jan 19, 2011.

1. facio123 macrumors newbie

i recently installed jailbreak on my brand new iphone 4 had loads of errors and problems and i dont see the difference? Can some one please tell me what difference is?

2. kre62 macrumors 68000

No difference. Just go back to stock. Use "restore" in iTunes.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep.
    What he said above.
    Jb is not for everyone and judging by your post you're better off stock.

4. facio123 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeh

yeh i just did but why do people install jailbreak then?

5. labman, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

labman macrumors 604

labman

Please start with the stickies up top of the forum. I'm not trying to be rude but, we get a million people new too the scene that want us to hold there hands. No offense but it's not our job. we are happy to help people but all we like to see is people do a little research. Jailbreaking is not for everybody though many of us here would get rid of are iPhones if we couldn't jailbreak. google Why Jailbreak you will fine your answer. to me if your not willing to do basic research then you shouldn't jailbreak. it's simply not for everybody in fact a small percentage of iPhone users jailbreak.

here is a good start

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=983491

don't want to read through it try this.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=603129

6. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

why did you install it before you restored?

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

not true many people have factory unlocked phone and are jailbroken. also many are happy with there carrier. it's true in the US and a few other countries maybe. I honestly don't about unlocking exceot it increases the value of my phone.

9. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Some people jailbreak solely to get apps for free. I would say most people jailbreak to gain more functionality that the stock iphone doesnt. BiteSMS, MyWi, SBSettings, Lockinfo, Winterboard all come to mind. That's just to name a few. Plus there are a lot of small tweaks that make a big difference as well. FakeClockUp seems to be the hottest at the moment. Speeds up the animations displayed on the phone which some people have reported it's actually sped up their phone.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

First at all, Jailbreak is not "installed", it is not a program, it is an Action, you Jailbreak your phone, meaning that you literally get it out of a secure place that Apple use to keep the file system of the phone locked down. You Break that lock and get the freedom of accessing everything on it (just like in your computer). Them you can Install/Modify or remove Application, settings, images and sounds that Apple left in there (and that maybe you don;t like or use) and you can Add your own. It is free, so you are just limited by your own imagination.

11. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

It is true. Accept it. Otherwise provide exact numbers of breakdown in each category (factory unlocked, not factory unlocked, jailbroken, not jailbroken), and site your source.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why don't you provide numbers smarty showing that everyone jb's their iPhone to unlock. Youre off.
    People jb for the added functionality.
    The unlock is important but not the only reason people jb.

13. sloppygator2013 macrumors regular

I agree with this.

on a side note, great website hackthatphone. How hard is to copy and paste from iClarified?

14. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Boom, roasted.

15. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

This made my day! LOL :D:D

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I love a good roast:D

17. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

18. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

lets see where to begin:

SBsettings a simple swipe in any screen on the top bar will bring down a nifty menu that allows me to adjust brightness, turn wifi on or off, respring, turn 3G on or off, put my phone in airplane mode etc.. etc... the toggles you can put on there are endless instead of digging through the settings menu every time you need to do this

bitesms I can see and reply to new text messages from any screen so instead of having to get out of safari and go into the sms app i can simply read a message and reply to it then close the little pop up... I can do this on the lock screen without having to unlock my phone (you can disable this of course) I can also initiate a new text message from any screen without ever going into my sms app

I can put as many apps as i want in my folders not just the 12 that apple limits you to

I can have facetime conversations over 3G, download itunes files bigger than 20MB over 3G (Stock iphone only lets you do these on wi-fi)

with fakeclockup I can make the animations on my phone faster it feels like I have a super fast iphone things like opening apps looking through menus, fast app switching are twice as fast

I can put as many Icons as i want on my dock

I can change the whole theme on my phone when I get tired of looking at the outdated apple iOS look

I can swipe from right to left on the top of my screen to launch my camera app for quick photo ops instead of looking around for the app icon

I can use android style pattern unlock instead of putting in a number code

I can see the weather on my lockscreen without unlocking my phone and going into my weather app

the list goes on and on and on and on..............

my point is there are plenty of reasons to Jailbreak and plenty of useful tools that can be accessed which Apple chooses for some reason or the other not to give you. It's worth educating yourself on how to do it properly and start enjoying a 10x better iPhone

19. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

While it's all subjective, I did a quick Google search for top reasons to JB your phone. Nearly all the hits that came back were from smaller, lesser know blogs/forums/etc and nothing from any major, reputable sources. As far as JB'ing goes, did find something from Pinch Media who stated their analytics showed that, roughly, 10% of all iPhone users are jailbroken. This was as of 11/09 I believe. Personally I think the percentage is a little higher but who knows.

Of all the "Top 3/5/10/15 Reasons to JB your phone" blogs/lists, nearly all of them had unlocking either towards the middle or bottom of said lists. And in these polls, the top "reasons" to JB were for 3rd party apps and/or personal modifications.

Personally, I only care about an unlock for resale value of my phone. I JB'd specifically for the themes/customization. The 3rd party apps were a blessing in disguise and now I couldn't live without them.

Again it's all subjective since none of the sources I found were reputable but it gives some insight to the main "reasons" for JB'ing your phone, if only on a somewhat limited scale.