Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Let me start by saying I've had an :apple:TV for over a year now. Typically I use MacTheRipper (to get DVD's onto my iMac) + VisualHub (to convert).

While VH is still running great....MacTheRipper has become almost unusable. I have versions 3.0 R14d, version 3.0 r12, and version 2.6.6. I can't remember the last time any of these versions was able to rip a dvd to my iMac.

Is anyone else using these with success? Is anyone using anything else that works well?

Thanks!

Sparced

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
I just use Handbrake for an all in one service. Insert disc select source choose either the Apple TV preference or saved custom, decided whether the movie is worth 2500 bitrate or should be lowered and hit two pass encode. Job done.

I only use Visual Hub now for converting MKV or Avi files.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I like Handbrake a lot, too. It handles ripping DVDs and converting them to MP4 files in one step. The only real reason I can see for using Mac the Ripper is to decrypt and burn your original movie DVD’s files to a blank DVD.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Presently, I've been ripping to HDD using MTR and then using HandBrake for 2500 bitrate encodes. I only rip the main movie from MTR, no reason to rip the entire disc (even though it probably doesn't matter). I like it this way because I can queue up several movies for HandBrake during the night.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
This is what I usually do as well. I can rip 3 or 4 dvd's and then when I'm not using my iMac (at night) I queue them all up and they're done in the morning.

Presently, I've been ripping to HDD using MTR and then using HandBrake for 2500 bitrate encodes. I only rip the main movie from MTR, no reason to rip the entire disc (even though it probably doesn't matter). I like it this way because I can queue up several movies for HandBrake during the night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.