What software configuration to choose?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by freelancer27, Jun 15, 2012.

1. freelancer27 macrumors member

Hi guys,

I will get my RMBP in the next days and I was wondering what way I should go.

I am having an old T60 right now where I use a license of W7 and Microsoft Office on it (both did not come with the laptop and had been updated by me).

Here are the things that I need/want to do with my new MBP since I am using it as well for work:

- I want to install W7
    What options do I have here? Bootcamp, Parallels. How do they differ? I think one of the main purposes is here to play games and be able to use IE for testing purposes during work.

- I want to use an office package.
    I was wondering what would be the best way here: Get iWork (I think that is the office version from Apple), Get MS Office for Mac or use my license of MS Office over W7.
    I would like to use Mac OS as well during my work time so what options do I have here, what would you recommend?

Thank you very much for your help!

2. laetusviator macrumors member

laetusviator

Bootcamp is just like running windows on a PC. You boot directly into windows. Parallels lets you run windows within OS X (in a 'virtual machine'), which is definitely more convenient, but software will not run as fast as if you boot directly into windows. For some applications this isn't a problem, but for playing games, bootcamp is definitely the preferred choice, since speed is so important (most new games would run too slow in parallels).

What office applications do you use most? What sort of tasks are you trying to accomplish?

I've got iWork & the latest MS Office for Mac, but most of the time I'll use the iWork apps. The latest Office for mac is significantly better than the previous edition, but I still find it kind of clunky. On the other hand, if you're used to using office you might simply prefer to stick with what you know!