What software do i need?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by student_trap, Jun 16, 2007.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Hey,

I wasn't sure where to post this, but i'd like to start making videos akin to the new itunes add (http://www.apple.com/itunes/?movie=b). What software would i need, and secondly would my mbp (c2d), be appropriate for this sort of work

thanks for any help you can give

anyone?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It might help you to get a better answer if you can get into a little more detail about what parts of it interest you. Is it the combination of live action with animation, something about the animated part itself, effects on the live part, something else?

3. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

it is definitely the combination of real people and animation, however i don't really know where to start in terms of how something like that would be approached. In effect i'd like to be able to create something similar from scratch, but dont know whether they are using a single app, or a combination. basically im looking for software where i can take real footage and add some really creative effects, but am unsure where to start?

4. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

They are more then likely using a combination of Final Cut Pro, Shake, and Motion to create what you see on the screen as well as a good studio set up with a blue screen. If you have never done any real sort of animation or videography before, trying to imitate an iTunes ad may be a little advanced.

However if you have done something like this before your best bet would be to use Final Cut Studio and yes your MBP would be appropriate. However keep in mind the people that do these type of ads work very hard and are experts in their field as far as creating animation, it is not an easy task.

5. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

thanks for the reply, at the moment I am at uni and from time to time get paid to make videos for various uni related things, for which i use imovie. I enjoy it but would like to be more creative, using much more in the way of effects, pseudo artificial back grounds etc. I have access to green-screens etc at uni, but alas have no editing software more powerful than imovie! With this in mind, what is the best for the mac, i have been looking into it and it seems quite a lot of people use after effects, but there is such a plethora of apps, all of which confuse me as to what they actually do, it is difficult to know what is needed for this type of work...can you help?

6. banjomamo macrumors regular

that was a combination of motion graphics and live action that was treated and composited in after effects along with some nice toon shaded 3d which could have been done in maya or cinema 4d. theres a dash of trapcode 3d stroke and particular in there too. it would have been finished in final cut or an avid.

7. BigJimSlade macrumors member

Andrew Kramer has a tutorial DVD that explains how to do this in After Effects at http://www.videocopilot.net. It's pretty cheap and a very cool DVD. You can get a trial version of AE from Adobe if you fancy a bash yourself.

8. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

Creating spots like these consist of a lot more than just applying effects to some video, these spots are a combination of compositing, animation, and more than anything else, a great eye for balance and composition. Learning to produce spots like these takes years of practice and study.

9. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I think Final Cut Studio would get you off to a good start and you may want to get a decent size external hard drive as well.