What software do you use for "Powerpoint" slide design?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by eclipse, Sep 11, 2008.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Hi all,
    just wondering what you use for designing Powerpoint slides? I'd prefer to wean off the "Evil empire" myself... and am wondering how many of you designers use Keynote in iWorks for slides?

Also... does iWorks08 open most MS office stuff properly now? I remember some older threads where people were having trouble, especially with Pages opening .doc files.

2. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Sometimes Powerpoint itself, but for when I am teaching accounting, I use Excel -- any spreadsheet would do, though. Numbers would be quite nice for presentations, in fact.

3. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I use Keynote. If I don't need control of when slides will switch, but rather a timed interval, and they are pictures, I use Final Cut Express.

4. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

What about Quark for slide design and then exporting... does Quark 8 save with timing, music etc?

What if it was just Quark to design and then import to Keynote?

5. shecky Guest

shecky

either in keynote itself, or in indesign with an export to PDF that is placed into keynote.

6. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Any time I can choose not to use Quark is a breath of fresh air.

7. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

But,.... you are a graphic designer aren't you? Don't clients often hand on Quark files? What about clients moving across from one designer to you for some reason.... "All their projects were done in Quark". Never face this? :D

8. shecky Guest

shecky

we almost never have to deal with Quark files. very occasionally.

9. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Do you do slide design for keynote speakers? Because apparently that's a whole new growing thang in design. Also... do you use Indesign normally?

10. shecky Guest

shecky

its not a core part of my studio's business, but i have done a number of presentations projects for clients in both Powerpoint and Keynote (and Flash and After Effects as well)

i do.

11. onegirlcreative macrumors member

onegirlcreative

The majority of printers nowadays (at least the ones I deal with) use InDesign solely now. It appears that years ago when OS X first came about (Aqua) and Quark refused to upgrade to the new OS, they shot themselves in the foot so InDesign was born. Hence, many printers have made the switch to ID and they're much happier, as a result.

Even though I have both Quark & InDesign on my computer, I NEVER open/use Quark. Only InDesign.

12. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Sometimes I actually take the time to redo the project in ID. That's how much I hate Quark. I mean, they (through version 7) don't even have a keyboard command for selecting the various tools! That's so unproductive - I won't deal with it. Not to mention poor PDF creation (that also takes AGES compared to ID). Or generally poor user interface, that still looks like it's from the Classic days. Or the host of other annoyances.

The only thing I like about version 8 being released is that some people will use it, which at least for now gives Adobe a reason to stay competitive.

13. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Ditto all that. Plus, some Quark files can be opened in ID and quickly fixed.

14. Krebstar macrumors regular

Exactly what I'm doing now for a class presentation. Actually, I then have to export to Powerpoint, since the professor demands that it's in Powerpoint, oh well, I found a work around.