Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sochet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
Hey all,

So yesterday I bought a lovely 1080p LED monitor (Benq 2420HDBL) and I want to watch some HD movies through it.

The files are all ripped to .mkv and I've noticed VLC is buggy as hell (Jerky playback, lots of artifacts etc.) I know my Mac is up to the task (New 'decoding: 10 Mac pro) so it can't be that.

I saw this article that says VLC is really bad for H264: http://www.chipmunkninja.com/1080p-MKV-playback-on-Mac-1r@@

I've done the steps labeled above, but with only very very minor success.

Are there any other players you could recommend? (Not M player 2 though, just tried that and I got HUGE burst of white noise through my high end audio monitors (luckily they have in-built limiters, if not I have no doubt I'd be deaf/looking at a very annoying repair).

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

brijazz

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
+1 for Movist. I used to battle with VLC also, until I read a review of Movist. I've not looked back since I started using it.

sochet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
I use QuickTime with Perian installed to handle .mkv files.

I've tried Perian, and the thing I don't like about it is that it acts like it's "streaming" the file, rather than loading it all (So say if I just want to jump to the middle of the film I can't)

And quicktime x can't handle .mkv files natively, hence the use for Perian ^

sochet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
I use VLC and Quicktime+Perian and everything runs perfectly. Maybe it's the videos themselves that are messed up?

I just downloaded movisat, and it works perfectly!

It seems VLC is a bit weird, I think there's more than one update stream :confused:

Hypex

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
MPlayer OSX Extended or Plex, they both handle 1080p .mkv w/o any problems at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.