What software does Genius Bar use?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by agentkow, Feb 5, 2008.

1. agentkow macrumors 6502

agentkow

I'm in need of some sort of presentation/announcement software for our school and would love to know what Apple uses in their stores to show tips, movies, and reservations at the Genius bar.

Does anyone know what it is or how they do it, and if there are any alternatives out there for Mac?

I need something that will loop automatically and allow multiple users to add content without too much hassle...

Thanks!

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Wouldn't Apple's Keynote do what you're trying to achieve?

Or am I missing something?:eek:

3. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

It's either done with keynote or it's a video they put together that's played on loop, 9 times out of 10 when you think it's a special app it's just a video.

4. agentkow thread starter macrumors 6502

agentkow

I love Keynote, but I need something that will run by itself on a remote computer hooked up to a public monitor. We don't want to change a keynote presentation file over and over again, but instead upload files to a folder or directory and have the presentation automatically refresh and include the new content, whether it be text, images or videos.

Also, the other people in the department uploading announcements are not as advanced. Do you think Keynote could work in some sort of behind-the-scenes capacity?

5. agentkow thread starter macrumors 6502

agentkow

How do they include the up-to-the-minute reservations then?

6. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Well I guess you have a point there, I thought you meant the tips.

7. nagyunes macrumors newbie

why don't you go to the apple store and ask one of the guys at the genius bar:confused: just make sure it is not one of those crazy guys that will tell you "I can tell you that", hope it helps! If not I'm almost sure it's made with flash because in flash you can add textboxes that you can link to a program (the one the person who hosts the genius bar has), this way you can have the cool effects with text you can update in the moment.

8. vandlism macrumors 6502

It's most definitely not commercially available software. Some funky combination of Motion, Quicktime, and some other information input. That being said, as a solution for the original poster, what about something like the Mac OS X RSS screensaver? There are several third-party variations available on the net too. So all you need to do is update your server, which will produce an RSS feed. Have the display read the RSS feed and viola! Just a thought. There may be more straightforward ways.

9. nagyunes macrumors newbie

but it will keep showing the other rss's right?:confused: