What software is this?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rudy.Bocc, May 25, 2011.

1. Rudy.Bocc macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to macs and I've seen this app before on macs being used by people in class taking notes.

It looks like a notebook on a desk, and lets you add tabs to this on screen notebook, it also has other functions for example, sound recording (for recording lectures I'd assume).

If anyone can identify what app I may be talking about I'd love to know!

Thanks!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. KirkL macrumors 6502

Microsoft Word has a "Notebook View" that does all that

4. MartinS3X macrumors member

Heres a screen grab to give a visual in case OP doesn't have word.

Attached Files:

5. one1 macrumors 65816

Tats the first thing that came to mind, but after seeing the other......... I bet it is the word program.

6. Rudy.Bocc thread starter macrumors newbie

ah yes! thats it! Thanks :D

btw I was thinking of starting another thread but I may just ask it here:

has anyone tried using this program in conjunction with a wacom tablet for diagram drawing, I'm an economics student and tend to deal with drawing many graphs in class and whatnot!

Thanks!

7. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Just curious, and not to get off subject, but do you find it easier to mess with all the technology in class instead of just a paper and pencil?

I'm thinking of going back to school and never used a laptop in class my first time around.

8. Rudy.Bocc thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm also used to pencil and paper myself, but to be honest when I take notes in class they might as well have been written by a toddler. So I've decided that I'm going to begin taking notes on a laptop (I haven't purchased one yet, but if I do it'll be the 13' MBP). The computer itself poses no trouble in class, since I've used laptops in class in the past, as well as watched other students effectively use them in class.

I could imagine the wacom would throw a wrench into the situation, as those lecture halls can get quite crammed, which is a concern. But like I said, I have to be able to draw diagrams on the fly, so I'm trying to figure out what options I have.

I have considered not getting a mac at all, and opting for a tablet pc like the lenovo x220i, but I'm beginning to truly fall in love with the build quality/ feel of macs.

Hope some of that helped

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Which was it?
    Word or Circus Ponies Notebook?

10. RogCincy macrumors newbie

Looks like Word. Just tried it and screen looks the same as using the Word Notebook Layout template.

11. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I went back to school and finished recently.

I prefer using a notebook for nots but sometimes used a laptop to look up something we were discussing in class.

I prefer using notebooks and legal pads, then typing my notes into the computer later. I feel that this process leads to better memory retention.

12. Rudy.Bocc thread starter macrumors newbie

13. KirkL macrumors 6502

Depends on the type of Professor. My Hist professor talks really fast and throws so much information at you that a laptop is much more convenient than a paper and a pencil. Same for my Phil professor who is not a linear lecturer at all.

I found paper/pencil to be more convenient in my Calc classes.

So my advice is just get a feel for the class and then decide what you wanna do.

(I disable WiFi just to make sure I won't mess around on YouTube or something)

14. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

When I went to non-online schools I was one of those who took their laptop to class (I had computer science classes for the most part so it wasn't super weird, but it was still weird since most students at the time had desktops).

For me I type far faster than I could ever write, and I can read my typings, not so much with my writings. I would sit where I wouldn't disturb people but the only time I really used a notebook was for things like math.

15. KirkL macrumors 6502

Same! Plus the quality of my writing (in legibility) varies greatly so typing is much better for me come review too. Luckily the Macbook keyboards are not as noisy as some other laptops' so typing isn't that distracting.