What software is written for eight processor cores?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rockout, Mar 30, 2009.

1. rockout macrumors newbie

I'm looking at replacing my ancient G5 tower with a new Mac Pro, and looking at the options, obviously I have to decide between the single CPU quad-core or the 2 CPU "eight-core" solution. Of course, the eight-core model is way more money.

I would imagine that it's worth it if your software uses those eight cores to their full potential, and here's my question: Does anyone know what software written for the top-of-the-line Mac Pro’s eight processor cores? Can you find a list anywhere online? I am striking out.

Thanks.

2. tripletaker macrumors member

HandBrake. I use it all the time and those 8 cores help a lot. Also I don't quite remember but I think Final Cut Pro used all 8 cores as well. I have a 8-core Mac Pro at work and I put those 8 cores to work by a lot of multi-tasking. I'm not sure of a comprehensive list that's available though.

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

More and more applications will take advantage of multiple cores in the future.

4. larkost macrumors 6502a

I think you have this all backwards: The purchase of the MacPro should justify itself. If you are going to buy a professional level computer then there should be a solid reason that you are buying that computer and not have to chase after a reason.

People who work on Photoshop all day would be an example of where this makes sense: if you can do twice as many edits a day then the investment in the computer pays itself off rather quickly.

But if you are just using this at home: get an iMac and use the money you save to go off on a vacation, you will be happier with your decisions.