What software to chat online with customers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cubytus, May 2, 2014.

1. Cubytus macrumors 65816

Hello there,

I was asked what software could be used on a website to chat with visitors. I already know about LivePerson, but pretty much ignorant about the others.

What can be used?

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

What ever MacRumors is using is awesome. It's got to be for everyone cuz my dad used a hockey for just like this one. Then they changed it about a month ago and it sucks so everyone left. And I mean EVERYONE! So MacRumors learn for others mistakes and do not change the forums.

3. woodywoodz Suspended

woodywoodz

4. Cubytus thread starter macrumors 65816

It wouldn't have cost anything to say you don't have a single idea.:rolleyes:

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What about one that cover all chat programs like Adium or Trillian?

6. Cubytus thread starter macrumors 65816

I thought Adium was moribund. No update in ages, instable. Trillian is Windows-only. And none of these two actually set up a link or window on websites to allow chatting with customers, do they¿

7. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

There IS a Mac client for Trillian but I don't think it's been updated in a long time (last blog post on the site regarding a Mac client was Jan. 2013). No, it wouldn't allow you to open a screen share.

8. Cubytus thread starter macrumors 65816

Well un-updated clients are not really what I'm looking for. And who talked about sharing anything more than words? :confused:

9. Cubytus thread starter macrumors 65816

Are you going to redirect your customer to a single email adress and provide no phone or chat? Surely you haven't done business before.

Other suggestions?

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Google Hangouts would be good, since it's readily available across multiple platforms. Just set up a Google+ account with your business name, and lead your customers to it.

Or if you want to go real classic, you could use IRC. It's not fancy at all, but it lets you talk to people online.

Or you could set up your own chat client through your website using Javascript or something similar.

11. Cubytus thread starter macrumors 65816

IRC is not secured and requires constant presence of an admin to avoid it being hacked. Besides, it requires the customer to install an IRC client, and doesn't provide an option to send a report by email if so they choose to receive. It simply doesn't meet business requirements.

Since it will be used by a small business with no resources to spare on development (none of them is even remotely a Web developer.), a turnkey solution is required. The same way we don't need to code Web pages by hand anymore as it has been replaced by far superior CMS, a chatting software with Online/Offline status, secure connection, and, optionally, sending a report in email shouldn't be too much to ask.

Google+ is an option, but I don't want to force customers into subscribing to abide by big G massive data collection. Would you think Cryptocat would be fine?