iPhone 8(+) What some reasons the iPhone 8 Plus is better than the X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockitdog, Jan 10, 2018.

1. rockitdog macrumors 68020

As the title states, looking for opinions on why 8+ is a better device than the X.

2. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Because the 8+ fits your needs better than the X. If that is true then the 8+ is the better choice.

3. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I personally don't think an objective case can be made either way
    It comes down to subjective criteria, like personal preferences, work flow, etc.

If you are money conscious, the 8 Plus is cheaper
    If you want size/heft, the 8 Plus is bigger
    If you want Touch ID, the 8 Plus has it

Etc. etc. etc.

But each person has their own opinions about it and you have to decide what is important to you

4. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502a

QueenTyrone

Better battery life
    More optimized screen (no black bars)
    Touch id (if you love it)
    Same performance if not better due to the 8+ having an lcd and being less power hungry.

5. rockitdog thread starter macrumors 68020

I agree it’s different for everyone, which is why am curious to know what reasons people have for picking it over the alternative. I’ve got my reasons for picking the phone I have but I’m just curious to know what reasons other people have as well.

6. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

Bigger battery, more viewable content displayed on screen

7. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I have a X myself, so I don't think it is better :)
    However, I do understand why some feel it is better for them
    My wife has a 7 Plus and doesn't want a X, she would prefer the 8 Plus
    Her reason is pretty much Touch ID

8. nouveau_redneck macrumors member

nouveau_redneck

They are both capable phones. It's a matter of personal preference based on features. To me the 8+ was a better choice as I wanted the touch ID, I prefer the larger usable display (wider), and can't stand the notch. I think I also prefer the larger frame which seems to be a better size to hold and use.

So based on my preferences, the 8+ was the clear choice for me. Your mileage will vary based on what you want.

9. GomerBoy macrumors 6502

One of the biggest reasons I chose the 8 Plus was because of the longer battery life! You can never have enough of that in a smartphone!

10. newellj macrumors 603

Having owned an X for five weeks and formerly owned a 6S Plus, I'd say that if I were making a decision in favor of the 8 Plus it would probably be for the following reasons:

- TouchID is familiar and works well (assuming it actually does for you - it does for me)
    - the aspect ratio is better if you watch a lot of videos
    - the LCD display won't bother your eyes, if PWM is an issue
    - the battery life of the Plus models is invincible (assuming you don't mind carrying something that's the size of a billboard around with you ;) )

11. barjam macrumors 6502

This is a personal decision. For me the iPhone 8 is worse in every metric besides price. The iPhone X is by *far* the best phone I have ever owned.

12. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

The 8 Plus is less fragile than the X. It probably has better battery life too. LCD vs OLED is a preference (I prefer OLED).

13. nouveau_redneck macrumors member

nouveau_redneck

Bolding above mine. Regarding the larger size, I may be in the minority as I don't recall seeing many people mention it, but I actually prefer the larger body. It just seems to be a better fit and feel when I use the phone, and carrying has never been an issue. I also prefer slightly heavier phones. So it goes two ways, for me a benefit of the 8+, many others it would be a draw back. Let's hope that Apple continues giving choices.

14. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

The ability to have a white coloured bezel and front side.

15. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

[​IMG]
    If you want the one-word answer, it's "width". The Plus has a much wider screen and allows for more viewing horizontally across a given page.

The downsides? The 8 Plus is a much larger phone, it doesn't fit comfortably in your hand/pants/cupholder, its screen is actually smaller in overall size, it has the forehead and chin, it has a shorter vertical display area, and it lacks any 'wow' factor so it's not exciting.

Wider screen vs. slimmer design. That's the decision.

16. Joe h macrumors member

Don’t have to zoom in as much.
    Proper 16:9 format.
    Touch ID.
    Faster to navigate.
    Faster to close apps.
    Doesn’t produce a migraine inducing flicker.
    Brighter.
    Cheaper.
    Camera seems to perform lowlight better.
    Battery lasts slightly longer.
    I like the way it fits in my hand.
    Color doesn’t shift.

17. kp98077 macrumors 6502

kp98077

Rubissh!! The x fits everywhere perfectly. The 8 plus cramps your hands. Ridiculous. Wayyyyyy tookooo big.

18. iFan83 macrumors regular

- Don’t have to worry about screen burn ins
    - Touch ID, although Face ID is great and I’d prefer having both but if I could have only one then it Touch ID for me
    - better battery life
    - Control Center swipes from the bottom and not the top corner

That said I think the X is an awesome phone

19. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

It’s all there in the specs and reviews. If you don’t strongly favor one or the other based on the features and specs, I strongly recommend you visit a retail store and try them both in person. Then just go with the one that gives you the good feelz.

20. Bigg Macc macrumors newbie

Bigg Macc

It is not as ugly.
    It won't have burn ins.

But they will both get throttled eventually.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The word "better" that the OP is using in their thread title is the most subjective word for an opinion. Nothing is better over the other, as its only based on what the user thinks is better because of what they prefer in which iPhone. Both the iPhone 8 and iPhone X are great iPhones, but I couldn't classify which one is better, because they share the similar functionality, just have differing capabilities.

22. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Size is the only thing in terms of watching the screen will be bigger apart from that I don't see anything else that it does better. Battery life wise is a lottery as my x is certainly better battery life than my 7 plus

23. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

I got the 8 plus simply because I’m getting exactly the same tech as the X, for less - bar the Face ID, and also I didn’t want to deal with the quirks that comes with every first generation product.

Battery life and wider body is an added benefit for me because I used to have a 6 before this.

24. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

LCD screens use more power.

25. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter