Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomj

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
I love being around computers and am thinking about careers in which I can use an iMac 27. What sort of work do you do with your iMac 27?

:apple:

TheyCallMeBT

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
I own a video production company. So I use it to edit video. Also graphic/ photo editing, and the occasional web design. What about you?

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
What software guys do you use for video editing ?

Been using Premiere Pro most of my life, but just recently been warming up to to FCX. Once I learned (pretty easy) how to use it properly, it increased my standard workflow compared to editing in PP by a landslide.

On a side note, I remember back in Jr. High and High School. Sony Vegas was my go to until I moved to PP.

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
Been using Premiere Pro most of my life, but just recently been warming up to to FCX. Once I learned (pretty easy) how to use it properly, it increased my standard workflow compared to editing in PP by a landslide.

On a side note, I remember back in Jr. High and High School. Sony Vegas was my go to until I moved to PP.

From all the reviews I read online, Adobe is taking the lead since some time.

What I don't really get is why people buy Macs for video editing when they can use Adobe CS on Windows.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
What software guys do you use for video editing ?

I use Adobe AfterEffects and Premiere Pro.

----------

What I don't really get is why people buy Macs for video editing when they can use Adobe CS on Windows.

Here we go again...

I could have bought a Windows system, but because I value design over price, I stuck back to Macintoshes.

Besides, the iMac runs real quiet even when you stress the system.

I also like the ease of usability of OS X over Windows.

In OS X, most things can be done in less than 5 clicks. It takes more than that in Windows.

Changing DNS for example:
OS X: System Preferences → Network → Advanced → DNS.
Windows: Control Panel → Network & Sharing Center → click on Ethernet or whatever connection is being used → click Properties → clicks IPv4 properties → Click on DNS radio button.

How many steps in OS X? 4.
How many steps in Windows? 6.

In fact more time is wasted when after clicking Properties, there didn't seem to be any direct field to enter the DNS. I wasted half a minute Googling on what to do next in Windows to change the DNS.

Steve Jobs once said, if half a minute's difference could save a person's life, would you speed up?

I've come to value every precious second that I have.

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
I use Adobe AfterEffects and Premiere Pro.

----------

Here we go again...

I could have bought a Windows system, but because I value design over price, I stuck back to Macintoshes.

Besides, the iMac runs real quiet even when you stress the system.

I also like the ease of usability of OS X over Windows.

In OS X, most things can be done in less than 5 clicks. It takes more than that in Windows.

Changing DNS for example:
OS X: System Preferences → Network → Advanced → DNS.
Windows: Control Panel → Network & Sharing Center → click on Ethernet or whatever connection is being used → click Properties → clicks IPv4 properties → Click on DNS radio button.

How many steps in OS X? 4.
How many steps in Windows? 6.

In fact more time is wasted when after clicking Properties, there didn't seem to be any direct field to enter the DNS. I wasted half a minute Googling on what to do next in Windows to change the DNS.

Steve Jobs once said, if half a minute's difference could save a person's life, would you speed up?

I've come to value every precious second that I have.

No I meant that Mac is no longer an audio-video producer must-have machine.

It's now more about taste and not business needs.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA

What does that even mean? Explain in which ways that is. Before you get defensive, know that I use PP as my main editor.

arteggio

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2010
Pittsburgh

I appreciate the convenience of being able to take my project to any recent computer (though I haven't had to), but there is nothing that would ever make me want to do real, creative, time-consuming work on Windows.

Along with some of the reasons others have brought up, I don't want to deal with the interface or its design philosophy or its quirks. The tools shouldn't get in the way. For me to set up a Windows machine as minimalist as I want it takes longer than in OS X (a default Windows install is chaos in comparison), and then some random hard-to-disable thing will usually pop up and interrupt me in spite of it all.

Anyway, since my iMac is from 2009 it's lagging a bit and I primarily use my 15" MacBook Pro Retina as an editing machine with the iMac often as a secondary display.

I'm currently using Premiere CS6 and CC, though I love FCP X. I'm also using Da Vinci Resolve 10 for a BlackMagic raw footage workflow with CC, and I was surprised to find this version of Resolve opened on my 2009 iMac whereas Resolve 9 crashed.

Other software I have used is PluralEyes for syncing video with separate audio recording, Avid Pro Tools for some audio work, and 7toX to get some Premiere timelines into FCP X.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I appreciate the convenience of being able to take my project to any recent computer (though I haven't had to), but there is nothing that would ever make me want to do real, creative, time-consuming work on Windows.

Along with some of the reasons others have brought up, I don't want to deal with the interface or its design philosophy or its quirks. The tools shouldn't get in the way. For me to set up a Windows machine as minimalist as I want it takes longer than in OS X (a default Windows install is chaos in comparison), and then some random hard-to-disable thing will usually pop up and interrupt me in spite of it all.

Anyway, since my iMac is from 2009 it's lagging a bit and I primarily use my 15" MacBook Pro Retina as an editing machine with the iMac often as a secondary display.

I'm currently using Premiere CS6 and CC, though I love FCP X. I'm also using Da Vinci Resolve 10 for a BlackMagic raw footage workflow with CC, and I was surprised to find this version of Resolve opened on my 2009 iMac whereas Resolve 9 crashed.

Other software I have used is PluralEyes for syncing video with separate audio recording, Avid Pro Tools for some audio work, and 7toX to get some Premiere timelines into FCP X.

The more I am using Final Cut X, I am slowly discovering some weird behaviors. First off, I have had it crash a couple times. This isn't uncommon per say with PP, but still an annoyance. It starts to really slow down, even more noticeable than PP with multiple clips and color effects.

The way dissolves and other transitions are handled seem odd to me, maybe not the most intuitive.

It would be awesome if PP had the same event / project formula Final Cut X had. It would make it one hell of a software!

I want to get use to FCX, but it just seems from my perspective now that it is less stable than PP.

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
The more I am using Final Cut X, I am slowly discovering some weird behaviors. First off, I have had it crash a couple times. This isn't uncommon per say with PP, but still an annoyance. It starts to really slow down, even more noticeable than PP with multiple clips and color effects.

The way dissolves and other transitions are handled seem odd to me, maybe not the most intuitive.

It would be awesome if PP had the same event / project formula Final Cut X had. It would make it one hell of a software!

I want to get use to FCX, but it just seems from my perspective now that it is less stable than PP.

According to many online benchmarks, Adobe rendering is almost twice as fast as FCP. Also most expert seem to give the upper hand to Adobe.

I'll try to rephrase my question: is there any business need for a Mac nowadays? Mac was the Audiovisual producers favorite machine back in time. What about today ? Is there any need to buy a Mac to get the job done ?

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
According to many online benchmarks, Adobe rendering is almost twice as fast as FCP. Also most expert seem to give the upper hand to Adobe.

I'll try to rephrase my question: is there any business need for a Mac nowadays? Mac was the Audiovisual producers favorite machine back in time. What about today ? Is there any need to buy a Mac to get the job done ?

As far as rendering, just using a day with FCX, I see your point. PP certainly out performs FCX.

No, I didn't think there ever was a strong argument for using a Mac over a Wintel machine if using PP. Now, if Final Cut was your thing, then using a Mac was a necessity.

Obviously some people just prefer OS X to Windows and that's enough of a reason to use a Mac in most cases.

I think I'll be sticking with PP for now. Do you have any suggestions on file management for PP that could improve my workflow efficiency?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.