Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

y-Rex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2014
I bought an Apple imac 5k 2 weeks ago and absolutely love the screen, the overall style and beauty of my system. It's so simple and perfect. I wanted to buy speakers that would match the style and ethos of my new system so I went for the Harmon Kardon Aura white edition. They look incredibly beautiful and match my imac perfectly. They have bad reviews because of connection issues people suffered with them but I've had none of that. They produce amazing sound as well. They were quite pricy at least for me. They cost me nearly £300 pounds on Amazon but I'm so glad it bought them! Together with the aluminium alupad mousepad I think my whole system matches really well.

Now the reason why i have created this thread is because I would like to know what speakers people have bought to complement thier imacs? :)

Quixotic3

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2009
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers with a Topping TP22 Class T Digital Mini Amplifier. They are great and really inexpensive! 580 reviews on Amazon 441 are 5 stars ( I agree) ... listening to Miles as I am writing this :cool:

spiritlevel

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Ruark Audio MR1

These are unbelievable sounding for their size - some of the best stereo imaging I have heard on any speakers at any price.

They are not cheap at £300 but worth every penny. They have a line in as well as bluetooth and there is the optional extra of a rechargeable battery pack that clips on the back (£50) so you can take them on holiday or out by the pool in summer etc - battery pack lasts about 10 hours and recharges automatically next time you plug them in to the mains.

Oh they also have a sub out so you can hook up a sub-woofer and scare the neighbours.

I got them in the matt white finish (there is also black and wood I think) and they look fab too.

Track40

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
I'm a huge audio / sound freak.

My 5K is outputting to a great AudioEngine A2+ set paired with an A8 Sub. These speakers are the most amazing compact speakers I've heard in a long time. Speakers are powered and have a ton of connectivity options. They also now have a built in DAC, but I'm using my own DAC.

Check them out: http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems

Always get high ratings on Amazon, etc.
Hard to believe how amazing the sound is, at such an affordable price point.

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
I have two iMac 27s, Harman Kardon Soundsticks III on one and B&W MM-1 on the other.

The Soundsticks III are hard to beat for the price. They look good (designed by Jony Ive himself), sound good, have good bass, take up little desk space and have a responsive, ergonomic volume control.

The B&W MM-1 speakers are 2-way stereo speakers, don't have the bass of the Soundsticks but have better overall sound and stereo imaging. In addition to analog, they also USB interconnect and an on-board DAC. If you are an audiophile they are worth it but for most people it's hard to beat the HK Soundsticks III.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.