What Speakers Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by matt1219, Jul 4, 2009.

1. matt1219 macrumors regular

I have an iMac, and since I just got some graduation present money, I want to buy a nice speaker set for it. I've got a little over 100 bucks, and I've narrowed it down to two:

Harman Kardon Soundsticks II ($110 on Amazon)
    Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speaker System ($116 on Amazon)

I've read great reviews about both, and I can't decide which to get. Audiophiles, please help!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd say if you are going to play movies and video games the latter tend to be "brighter", for straight musical purposes, the Sound Sticks.

BTW, the Sound Sticks have quite a following here, much to my questions?

3. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I have lots of music and want to play it, and I also record. My friend has the Logitech ones, and they're really good, too though, he uses them for the same purposes. I just don't know which to get because the Harman Kardon seem better, but the Logitech ones have more control options.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

those arent audiophile speakers (sorry just had to clear that up). for audiopile quality sound you would likely need an external DAC, amp, bookshelf style speakers and an external sub if you want which would likely cost over a grand. this will produce a warmer, high quality, noise free sound with soundstage which is much superior (after you have listened to it).

the z-2300 has lots of bass if you will like that and the Soundsticks look nicer and probably have a better sound.

5. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

I was in this same dilemma a few months ago. I'm not really an audiophile, but i DO listen to a lot of music. I would have to say that the Logitechs are one of the best purchases i have made. AMAZING quality for speakers this cheap, just make sure you have room for the sub:rolleyes:

6. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Though I recommend the AV40, the M-Audio Studiophile AV30 is $100 at Amazon.

7. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, these interest me. Are they really amazing quality? And are the AV40s that much better? They're only 40 bucks more, so if they are then I'd totally go for it. Sounds like studio quality, which is good since I do music recording as well.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I've "sampled" the Sound Sticks in two different stores and came away far less than impressed, especially for their price. Sure, they look great - but I heard much better (IMO) sound out of speakers half their price.

I went with the Logitech Z-5500's, primarily for the 5.1 surround. It's also nice not having any background hiss or crackling, even at high volume, due to the optical interface.

9. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

im using the sound sticks 2 and they are great! buy them

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you actually care about audio quality, just avoid consumer speakers entirely. A good set of isolation headphones are decently priced (for example, the Sony MDR-V6s) and will give you better quality than the speakers you list.

Plus you won't bother anyone while you're listening!

11. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

true i use klipsch custom 3 and turbines at night and at day i use my soundsticks, they do have better quality..

12. rockonchen macrumors newbie

13. eviltobz macrumors member

obviously they are low end as far as studio monitors go, but they are pretty decent. however, the thing to bear in mind about monitors is they are designed differently to hifi type speakers. hifi stuff tends to have a bit of an eq curve of their own, deep bassy sounds, or warm mids or sparkly highs or whatever, studio monitors try to get as flat an eq as possible which makes them often sound "worse" to people when they are used to certain frequencies being more pronounced. it does mean that listening to music will be more like what the mixing & master engineers were working with, and obviously you can get itunes or whatever to add a bit more eq.

when it comes to recording your own stuff they will be more useful as you will have a more professional setup to work with. when using the aforementioned hifi type speakers, their eq will effect the choices you make in eqing and mixing your stuff, if they are very bass heavy you'll roll the bass off a bit or if they are trebley you'll pull the high end down etc, but then played on a different system the sound will be lacking in those areas due to your overcompensation.

so, all in all, yup, they'll be good for you, but they may not be exactly what you expect to begin with.

14. rockonchen macrumors newbie

Logitech Z-2300 +1
    Soundstick II does produce decent sound,
    but the satellite speakers can split apart (two
    of my friends faced the situation and had to glued it).

15. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

So basically, this will be good so I can hear the differences when I mix music, as apposed to it leaning towards more bass or more treble on regular speakers? That'd be great, plus I use EQ in iTunes already, so it won't be much of a challenge. It's between these and the Z-2300s.

16. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys, what about the Creative Gigawork T20s? Even though they're two-piece, they still look good. Or the Logitech X-540s? I do watch movies in bed a lot too, so a 6 piece would be cool. I was also looking at the Bose Companion 2 Series II, but I've heard Bose is overrated. My dad said he heard a saying about Bose, "No highs, no lows, must be Bose!" Lol. What do you think?

17. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd recommend the T40s
    The Logitech X-540s are a good 5.1 sound for the price, however the sound quality is not as great as the others.

And stay away from the Bose, listen to your father.

18. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

So, Creative T40s VS Logitech Z-2300. Which ones should I get?

19. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

What kind of music/how loud do you plan on playing them? I've had the Z-2300 and although they were great, I blasted them at 50-60% and the speakers blew but the sub stayed strong.

Right now, I'm on the Logitech Z-5500 and they're the best things ever. So for moderate, yes I would recommend the Z-2300 but if you like loud, I'd go for the Z-5500.

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The Z-2300 obviously will have more bass, the T40s have a much better mid range IMO, iThink that the hi's are comparable. My recommendation would be to go to Fry's and test both of them. (I wouldn't buy them from there, but they do carry Creative's products.)

21. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

Lol, do you know any other places that have them? I live in New Jersey.

22. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Best Buy is the only other place that comes to mind. Compusa used to carry Creative, but they also used to be in business in different terms.

23. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, thanks!

24. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Call beforehand, some stores carry and others don't. The Apple store I believe carries the T20, you could always check to see about the T40. Or contact Creative and ask them. Finding the Logitech's to test, shouldn't be hard at all.

25. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I just realized Best Buy only sells them online. But I think I'll get the Creative because they're cheaper, plus I have a Best Buy Gift Card. Thanks everyone!