What speakers to get?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sunday, May 25, 2008.

1. sunday macrumors member

I have been looking at harmon kardon soundsticks but i would like to know what other people think i should get...

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What's your budget and how much space do you have?

The Logitech Z-5300e is a older speaker system, but right now it's very affordable and it's great for the price.

3. fatcat23 macrumors member

even better is the z5500 from logitech. true 5.1 from an optical cable. Assuming you have an intel mac that is.

Did you use the search function. Many ppl have asked this same question and usually the answer is the same...

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes the z5500 is better, but it costs 3x/4x more and you don't get much out of it if you just want speakers, not the whole shazzam that goes with the 5500.

5. fatcat23 macrumors member

how much are the 5300's? The 5500 can be had for less than 200. I bought mine 3 months ago for 220 with tax and shipping. (they weight ~60lbs so shipping is expensive).

tigerdirect.com has them for 250. but better deals are available. you just have to search for them.

although the 5300 are good speakers. the 5500's are worth the extra money although it's not much more money.

6. paduck macrumors 6502

I'm sure I'll get yelled at for this, but I got a pair of $9 USB speakers (from Walmart) that I have plugged into my 802.11g Airport Express. They serve their purpose very well - to deliver sound to the children's room. Doesn't take up an extra plug. They seem very pleased with getting their music when they go to bed....

Of course, they are not audiophiles and are not complaining about the quality of the sound they are getting from the speakers, but it sounds fine to me....

And remember, $9.

7. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

If you're going to be spending upwards of $200, look into the audiophile quality Audioengine A2s. Everyone say that they are the best for their dollar, and I'll be ordering my pair real soon. Plus, I love the simplicity look of them.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

if we are going to that end

Behringer Truth B2031A

9. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I have two sets of the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II and I love them. I have my iPod docks plugged into them (upstairs and downstairs) and the sound is amazing. When I was shopping around for speakers I tried a lot and nothing compared to these IMO.

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

11. Tommyjolly macrumors member

It depends on your budget really, but if you are thinking about going for the Soundsticks,
    you should have a look into the speakers JBL offer you.
    I've bought the JBL Spot 2.0 a couple of months ago
    and am really happy with them.
    Design-wise JBL offers one of the most Mac fitting speakers.
    The sound quality is clear and crisp, the subwoofer quite powerful
    and matching to the higher frequency speakers
    (I mainly listen to electronic & orchestral music).
    You can even change the covers of it to other colours.
    Here's a pic, if you are bothered about looks:

http://modculture.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/30/jbl_spot.jpg

Alternatively there are the JBL Spyro speakers,
    featuring the same technical abilities, but sport a different design :

http://www.maczone.sk/images/products/jbl-spyro-white.jpg

Hope that helps.

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

^^^ I wanted to hear these at the Apple Store - they had them out but were not connected.... :mad:

13. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Ok, if we're going into the $399 range with those other Bose speakers, then I put in a vote for the Bose Companion 5 system ($399).

Best sounding computer speakers I've ever heard (aside from dedicated stereo systems or monitor speakers.) Big subwoofer, but it doesn't saturate the sound with bass - it gives you the thumps you want, where you want them. Crisp and clear with no distortion.

It also has a great little volume wheel that sits in easy reach, which has a headphone jack built in for when you wanna listen to music late at night :)

-Bryan

14. Tommyjolly macrumors member

My old housemate used to have them and they didn't sound as good as they should for that price. Especially if you turn them louder, they produce quite distorting sounds. He was mainly listening to indie and rock music & I would not recommend them (Especially for that price tag).
    I have to say, that mine do sound a lot better from a pure subjective point of view. My brother says it as well & he's using the older versions of JBL (Creature II), which are similar to the Spot 2.0 but don't have such a rich subwoofer.