What speakers work with Macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac.Jnr, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Mac.Jnr macrumors member

Hello all,

Pardon my stupidity but what speakers generally work for Macs?
    I've decided to buy a decent set of 2.1 speakers and have chosen the Logitech Z-2300. I was just wondering if they would work with my G4 iMac (Flat Panel, 800mhz) and Alu iMac? If you guys could enlighten me before I pull the trigger, it would be great!

Thanks in Advance.

2. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Most speakers that are lower end 2.1 go straight through the headphone jack using the usual 1/8th inch. Some of them also use optical which looks a lot like the 1/8th inch and, for MacBook Pros at least, is the same as the headphone jack. If you're going for a Logitech 2.1 system, I'm 99% sure that it will have a connector (or you can buy one) to go from your headphone jack to somewhere on the system. (1/8th to 1/8th)

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

All low-end computer speakers will just work from the headphones connection :)

4. ilogic macrumors regular

I use the Phillips Audio PC400 and the sound is fantastic, very crisp and resonating bass, i recommend it.. good luck!:apple:

5. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

I just bought a pair of these and I'm thrilled.

I was using my MBP to do some presentations and the internal speakers simply didn't deliver enough volume. These plug into the USB port, which is a plus in three ways:

1. They draw power form the USB port to drive an internal amp in the speaker... therefore they are LOUD.
    2. One of the speakers has media controls! Volume, play/pause, etc. very handy.
    3. Every time I use the 1/8" audio output, the feeling I get is that I've just used 1 of n remaining good connections. The connection just doesn't feel robust. Whereas the USB feels like it will last awhile.