What Specific Mac is right for me?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by s.horsfield, Oct 10, 2011.

1. s.horsfield macrumors regular

Hello,
    This is something iv'e been debating with myself for MONTHS. It's starting to get to me.

This is what iv'e figured so far
    1. No need for an SSD
    2. I'm happy with either a desktop or laptop
    3. Storage isn't an issue

This is what I mainly use on my computer
    All the time: Chrome (10 tabs average), iTunes, Mail, Minecraft Server, Twitter
    Almost Always: Xcode, Gimp

I want the computer to last me about 3 years, I also game but unless I had a high end mac I wouldn't use it for gaming (game console + mac). I would only want a laptop if it was around the same price as a desktop and did the above just as quick (or nearly).

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sounds like an iMac is right for you then. You don't do anything that requires a tremendous amount of power.

3. s.horsfield thread starter macrumors regular

iMac

This is what I was leaning towards. I'll probably get a high end 21.5, some next gen console and a iPad somewhere along the line.

Thanks

4. EricT43 macrumors regular

If gaming is not a priority on this machine, I would get the lower-end 15" MBP, a 3rd-party docking station (like BookEndz or whatever), and hook it up to a 27" monitor, which you can get for less than $300 these days. Then you'd have the best of both worlds.

5. s.horsfield thread starter macrumors regular

I have the cash but I would prefer spending as little as possible for best performance (as long as it fits my needs)

6. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Pretty simple, get a base model iMac with maxed out RAM.

7. s.horsfield thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

That will probably be what I'll do. Won't get 16 all at once ill start with 8 then add more if needed.

Side note: I've owned desktops all my life and have almost felt shunned outright over the past few years for not owning a laptop, probably sounds stupid. Just looking for value so I thought I'd ask the forum

8. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Entry 21.5' imac model sounds like it would suit you fine.