What specs to get for Mobile Edit Station - Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by g42cru, Jun 20, 2008.

1. g42cru macrumors newbie

Hi All.

I am in the process of looking into getting a new Macbook Pro as a mobile edit workstation. I deal mainly in DVCPRO HD, with the odd HDV footage at times.

I am going to get the 15" 2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. I was going to purchase the 200GB 7200rpm drive for it, but then heard that you can't partition it. My idea was to partition it into System Drive and Storage Drive to get realtime effects in FCP etc.

After doing research I found all I need is an external drive for my footage and use the internal drive in the macbook pro for apps etc.

So, finally, we get the point. Because I'm using the internal hard drive only for apps etc, does the rpm of that drive not matter? Would the stock 250GB 5200rpm drive be ok?

Thanks for your help in advance.

James

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

There's absolutely no reason why you can't partition any drive that comes with the MBP, but you'll need to reinstall the OS from the supplied system disks onto one of the partitions.

3. g42cru thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Blue Velvet.

I was told you can't do that! I'm being told lies lol!

How is this done? Is it done at installation? I have never partitioned, my G5 at home has two hard drive so just use on for system one for storage.

James

4. isianto macrumors regular

you need to insert the installation cd that came with your mac.
    after choosing the language, from the menu located above choose diskutil, you can partition the disk in there
    and then, from the menu again, choose install
    I type this with my memory, so, please forgive me if I can't point you more info. and please forgive my english

5. g42cru thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Isianto,

Thanks for that! I've been searching for ages on the web for details of how to do this and your instructions were the clearest!

Bit confused about putting the disc in though. As in doesn't your mac go through this the first time you set it up? Do you need the discs?

James

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

why not just use boot camp to partition the disk and format the bootcamp partition to HFS?

7. g42cru thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmmm.... never thought of that. Sounds like a plan! Will do that!

Thank you all for your help! Much Appreciated.

James

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

what would be the point of this? Partitioning is pretty pointless unless you're installing multiple operating systems.

9. g42cru thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Zioxide.

Having my footage on a different drive/partition from the system drive will enable me to have real-time effects in FCP. That's why I want the partition.

Cheers,

James