What speed is too fast for 802.11g?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by IgnatiusTheKing, May 7, 2009.

1. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I have a Time Capsule as my main router with a 802.11n (b/g compatible) network, with an Airport Express (802.11g) extending it. I have AT&T Elite DSL ("up to 6 Mbps") and according to both 2wire.com and speedtest.net, I'm getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 5.1 Mbps. When I hook my DSL directly into my computer via ethernet, I get the same results.

I ran a few "real world" tests and found that the results I got were pretty accurate. I downloaded a 4.8 MB file in about 7 seconds and a 17.8 MB file in about 30 seconds.

So my question is...at what speed does wireless n come into play? I'm getting close to the highest speed AT&T offers on a network that is, for all intents and purposes, a g network.

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Your router is pretty much always going to be faster than what you get from the Internet. 802.11b operates at up to 11Mbps and 802.11g is up to 54Mbps and so on. The real advantage you get is with an internal network. For example, if you want to stream video to an AppleTV, you would get better performance from n over g and g over b. I hope this helps.